How to Calculate Your BMI
BMI means body mass index, a measurement which indicates whether a person has normal weight or is obese. BMI is calculated using a person’s height in meters and weight in kilograms. It is important to know your BMI to realize if your body weight is ideal for your height. If your BMI is too high or too low then you can take appropriate corrective actions to reach the ideal weight.
How to Calculate Your BMI:
- BMI under 18.5 – Under weight
- BMI between 18.5 to 24.9 – Normal weight
- Between 25.0 to 29.9 – Overweight
- Over 30.0 – Obese
How to Calculate BMI
- Find out your weight by stepping a scale. Then, measure your height without wearing any footwear. Note down these numbers.
- Square your height, for example if your height is 1.5 meters, the square is 1.5 x 1.5 which is 2.25.
- Then, divide your body weight with this squared height number. Thus, if your weight is 50 kg, the calculation is 50/2.25, which is a BMI of 22.2. This means your body weight is in the normal range.
More BMI Info
Plenty of health websites feature a BMI calculator which can calculate your BMI in a jiffy. Please note that if you are an athlete, your BMI may be in the category of overweight or obese because athletes have high muscle mass. But obviously it is not a weight issue. Women and senior citizens tend to have higher body fat compared to men and younger adults.
Please watch this video to learn how to calculate your BMI: