About Sweaty Feet
Sweaty feet can be a major cause of embarrassment. Sufferers dread to kick off their shoes because of the dreadful smell that emanates from their sweaty feet. You might wonder why your feet tend to sweat and smell more than the rest of your body. In this article, we reveal why and also effective tips to minimize foot odor.
Causes of Sweaty Feet
Our feet contain greater than 250,000 sweat glands making them one of the sweatiest parts of our body. In fact, on a hot day, each foot can generate about a pint of smelly sweat. This smell is created by bacteria on the skin which consume the sweat and give out waste that has strong odor. Thus, sweaty feet attract more bacteria by giving them lots of sweat to consume.
Shoes and Socks Play a Part
The socks and shoes we wear keep in the sweat generated by our feet and this sweat starts to collect in the socks and on the skin. Thus, bacteria have a ball feasting on this damp area. As a result, when we take off our shoes, a strong odor emanates and spreads from the bacteria waste collected in the feet, socks and shoes. Of course, like in everything else, some people have a tendency to sweat more than others and their feet would naturally smell worse.
How to Alleviate Sweaty Feet and Minimize Foot Odor
Since smell in the feet is created by bacteria consuming sweat, you need to focus on two main aspects to reduce foot odor:
- Minimize the bacteria quantity on the feet
- Minimize the quantity of sweat collected on your feet and footwear
You can achieve this by implementing these tips:
- Wash your feet clean every day with anti-bacterial soap
- Wear washed, clean socks
- Change your shoes every day to give the used shoes time to air dry
- Wear footwear with good ventilation and avoid constrictive shoes
- Wear cotton socks and those made of absorbent material that can absorb plenty of sweat
- Use shoe inserts that can absorb sweat and odor
- Freshen your feet by spraying an antiperspirant on them
Practicing healthy hygienic habits is the key to minimizing sweaty feet and foot odor. So, implement the above tips every day to save yourself the embarrassment of sweaty and smelly feet.
To learn about easy and effective ways to cure sweaty feet, please watch this video: