Pregnancy Acne – Treatment for Pregnancy Acne
Pregnancy acne is not a special form of acne. It is just the acne that is caused during pregnancy. Though the skin remains clear for years, pregnancy acne suddenly breaks out due to certain factors. It is really annoying but changes are common in women during pregnancy.
Hormonal fluctuations are one of the main causes for acne break out during pregnancy. When the hormonal levels increase, there will be excess production of sebum, which develops acne. Many women complain of acne to become worst during second trimester. But some women are lucky since it disappears after delivery.
There are many treatment options for pregnancy acne. They are mentioned below.
Treatment for Pregnancy Acne
Self Care – Self care is the best treatment for acne.
- Washing face two times a day – Use a mild and gentle cleanser with lukewarm water.
- If your hair is oily, wash it every day and see to it that the hair does not fall on the face.
- Avoid scratching, picking, squeezing or popping the acne sores as they spread the infection causing scarring.
- Use oil free cosmetics like noncomedogenic, nonacnegenic or water based products
- Do not rest the face on the hands as it can aggravate the acne.
Medication – This is the second option in the treatment regime. You cannot use all the over the counter medications during pregnancy. Or else, it may lead to some other problems.
- Erythromycin is the best option. Even azelaic acid is another option. These medications are applied topically and can only be obtained by prescription.
- There is another drug, benzoyl peroxide, for which research is still going on.
If you are really very much concerned about pregnancy acne, seek a help of the doctor or a dermatologist. This would help you better about the treatment options.