How to Improve Eyesight
Many people think that eyesight naturally deteriorates with age and that it is impossible to reverse this decline. They couldn’t be more wrong. With the help of a nutritious diet and by performing exercises like palming regularly, you can keep your eyesight stable and even improve it gradually. This article reveals simple but effective tips on how to improve eyesight.
How to Improve Eyesight
- Vitamins A, B, C and E are important for eye health. Consume whole grains, colored vegetables and cod-liver oil supplements rich in these vitamins to boost your eyesight.
- Sulfur-containing foods are rich in glutathione which supports eye health. Therefore, eat plenty of sulfur-filled foods like water melon, asparagus, cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, turnips, Brussels sprouts, kale and broccoli), avocados, garlic and onions.
- Green leafy vegetables and egg yolks are also recommended foods to improve eyesight.
- The amino acid taurine is great for eye health. It is found in fresh meat and fish.
- Selenium, magnesium and zinc are important for good eyesight. Selenium can prevent cataract and can be found in Brazil nuts, shellfish and whole grains. Magnesium boosts blood circulation to the eyes and is contained in many varieties of nuts as well as green leafy vegetables. Some foods hosting zinc are oysters, fish, poultry and meat.
- Fish like sardines, herring, mackerel and salmon are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which improve night vision and retina health.
- Herbs like milk thistle, bilberry, sage and Ginkgo support eye health.
Lifestyle Tips to Improve Eyesight
- Protect your eyes from too much exposure to the sun by wearing sunglasses. In fact, sun exposure causes cumulative damage, so even children should be advised to adorn sunglasses when they venture out.
- Many bad lifestyle habits and conditions can cause eye disease. Some of these are chronic stress, poor nutrition, sleep deprivation, hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, having diabetes, sedentary lifestyle, excessive alcohol drinking and smoking. Avoid or overcome these lifestyle threats to your eye health.
- Go for regular eye checkups especially if you wear contacts or glasses.
Palming to Improve Eyesight
This is a simple yet effective method to improve eyesight, which needs to be done twice a day for 10 minutes each. The procedure is as follows:
- Sit comfortably and place your elbows on a pillow or table before you.
- Put your hands together to form a cup.
- Place the cupped palms on your eyes gently.
- Do not put pressure on your eyeballs. You should be able to blink your eyes inside the cupped palms.
- Stay in this position for about 10 minutes.
- You will feel relaxed and refreshed after 10 minutes.
- Do this simple yet effective exercise twice daily to improve your eyesight.