Tips for Dental Health
It is important to take good care of your dental health to avoid conditions like cavities, infections and diseases like gingivitis. Research reveals that plaque formation on teeth can lead to heart and artery disease. So, it is essential to brush and floss regularly. This can also help you prevent socially embarrassing conditions like yellow teeth and bad breath. In this article, we suggest simple but effective tips for dental health.
Tips for Dental Health
Brushing and Flossing
- Brush at least twice a day, in the morning after getting up and at night before going to bed.
- Your toothpaste should contain fluoride to prevent cavities.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles as even a medium head can irritate the enamel on the teeth if used too roughly or for too long.
- Floss regularly to remove the plaque formed between the teeth.
- Remove bacteria from your tongue by brushing it lightly with a tongue cleaner.
- You can also use a mouthwash regularly to improve your dental health. But ensure it does not contain alcohol to prevent drying of the mouth.
- Brush for at least two minutes to get maximum effect.
- Use dental floss that has mint flavor to improve your breath.
Importance of Healthy Diet
- Avoid sugary drinks like fruit juices, sweet teas and soda.
- Meats, cheese and nuts are great for the teeth as they contain vitamins and calcium that help to strengthen enamel.
- Don’t forget to gargle your mouth thoroughly after eating foods like French fries and bananas, as these can stick for a long time on your teeth.
- Chew on sugarless gum after eating meals to ensure good dental health.
- Foods like garlic and onion can cause bad breath. So, brush or gargle your mouth after consuming them to prevent bad breath.
- Try to avoid eating snacks between meals as much as possible. If you are really hungry, try eating healthy snacks without sugar.
- Acidic items like orange juice and oranges can cause enamel wear and tooth decay. So after consuming acidic foods, ensure to brush or gargle afterwards.
- Your diet should be rich in calcium, B vitamins and other nutrients to prevent oral disease and tooth decay.
- You should consume at least 500 mg of calcium every day to enjoy strong and healthy teeth.
Tips for Long-term Dental Health
- Go for dental checkup and teeth cleaning once in six months.
- Change your toothbrush after every two months so that the bristles are fresh and effective for proper cleaning.
- If you suffer from tooth pain or sensitive teeth, contact your dentist immediately.
- Do not smoke or chew tobacco to ensure good dental health for life.
We hope the above tips for dental health will help you appreciate the need to practice proper oral hygiene every day. Prevention is better than cure, so take care of your dental health every day to prevent future problems.