How to Cure Asthma
The number of asthma patients has increased drastically in the past few years in the US and has now reached the mark of 17 million people. Children are the most affected by this chronic illness which has impacted more than 5.5 million of them. In this article, we reveal how to cure asthma naturally as well as effective home remedies for this ailment.
How to Cure Asthma
Try to Avoid Dependence on Drugs
Most asthma patients use drugs and inhalers which contain corticosteroids. These drugs can cause side effects like insomnia, anger, depression and mood swings. So it is better to try natural remedies first to cure asthma before taking recourse to drugs.
Increase Your Lung Capacity
You can improve your lung capacity by regularly swimming, jogging or running. You can also try pranayama breathing techniques which are known to facilitate deep breathing. Improving your lung capacity can reduce asthma attacks and enable you to handle them better too, when they strike. But avoid exercising in cold conditions to prevent worsening your symptoms.
Try to pinpoint which allergens cause asthma breakouts and avoid them as much as possible. Common irritants are mold, cold weather, pollen grains and dust. Try to wear a mask or similar filter to reduce your vulnerability to these allergens.
Diet is Important
Your diet should include foods that can reduce asthma symptoms. Such foods include fish like salmon, mackerel and tuna. Consumption of these fish produces anti-inflammatory compounds which help to prevent or reduce constriction of the air passage. More beneficial foods to cure asthma include fruits rich in vitamins B and C, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds and spinach.
Avoid Chlorinated Water
Chlorine used to purify drinking water can activate receptors in the throat and lungs. So asthma patients are advised to consume water without chlorine as much as possible.
Try Essential Oils
Certain oils like chamomile, rose oil and lavender oil are known to improve lung capacity and facilitate deep breathing. They can also reduce the impact of muscle spasms. But ensure these oils are free of allergens before using them.
Home Remedies to Cure Asthma
- Coffee: Research reveals that regular coffee drinkers suffer fewer asthma attacks. This is because caffeine can control and even prevent asthma attacks because of its bronchodilating properties. But avoid giving coffee to asthmatic children.
- Onions: have anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent the airways from constricting too much during asthma attacks. Avoid raw onions which can be irritating, and consume cooked ones instead to reduce asthma attacks.
- Chili Peppers: Hot food items like peppers stimulate the secretion of fluids in the lungs, throat and mouth. More fluids thins down the mucus produced during asthma attacks, which can then be coughed out to enable easier breathing. Hot peppers contain capsaicin, which has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Orange juice: Research reveals that many asthma patients lack vitamin C. Studies also reveal that consuming about 300 mg of this vitamin every day can reduce wheezing by 30%. Foods rich in vitamin C are strawberries, blueberries, broccoli, papaya and red bell pepper, besides orange juice of course.
- Yogurt: is rich in vitamin B12 which can alleviate asthma symptoms. Research indicates that it is ideal to consume about 1 to 4 micrograms of this vitamin every day to prevent asthma attacks.
We hope the above tips on how to cure asthma can help you overcome this debilitating ailment. Try out all the above remedies and persevere with the ones that work best for you to beat asthma and improve your quality of life.