Benefits of Fruits
Fruits are full of fiber, minerals and vitamins. Dieticians say one should consume 4-5 servings of fruits every day. They are free of bad cholesterol and contain plenty of water. Hence it is easy for the body to absorb the nutrients contained in fresh fruits. Read on to learn all about the health benefits of fruits.
Benefits of Individual Fruits
- Apple: is rich in folate, fiber and vitamins A, C and E. This fruit reduces the risk of lung, prostate and colon cancer. Apples also help to control cholesterol, lose weight and prevent heart disease.
- Banana: contains plenty of folate, potassium, fiber and vitamins A, C, B6 and E. Unripe bananas can be used in cooking.
- Cherries: These can be eaten only when ripe. They contain anthocyanins which reduce inflammation and pain.
- Figs: are a good source of niacin, folate and vitamins A and C.
- Kiwi: This fruit hosts folic acid, iron, calcium and vitamins A, B-complex, C and E. Kiwi fruit also contains flavonoid antioxidants.
- Lime: is loaded with folate and vitamins A and C. Lime juice is known for its antioxidant properties and used for detoxification.
- Orange: Contains plenty of sodium, pectin, flavanoids and vitamin C.
- Plums: Low in calories and fat, but high in carbs. They are free of cholesterol and sodium. Contain plenty of fiber, potassium, iron, magnesium, calcium, and vitamins A and C.
- Papaya: is rich in iron, phosphorous, calcium and vitamins A, B, C and D. This fruit boosts digestion and soothes the stomach.
- Pear: Contains riboflavin, kalium and lots of fiber. It is great for the skin.
- Strawberries: are rich in fiber, vitamin C, iron and sodium. They help to whiten teeth and relieve rheumatism.
- Watermelon: is a refreshing fruit especially in the hot summer. It can be eaten fresh or consumed as juice. It is rated high for its ample content of iron, fiber, sugar, vitamins and minerals.
Fruits are a cheap, tasty and easy way to get your daily quota of nutrients. They are available at most stores and supermarkets and do not cost much. So indulge yourself every day and enjoy the benefits of fruits even as you relish their great taste and flavor.