Side Effects of Probiotics
Probiotics are also called friendly bacteria as they are beneficial to our health. They are used in making dietary supplements which are prescribed to improve overall health. Probiotics can also be found in fermented dairy products that contain beneficial cultures. Of late, some makers claim that their foods such as cookies, candy bars, granola, frozen yogurt, juice and cereal contain beneficial probiotics. In this article, we briefly discuss why probiotics are used before moving on to their side effects and risks.
Therapeutic Uses of Probiotics
Probiotics are commonly used to treat health problems like leaking gut, irritable bowel syndrome, vaginitis, constipation, intestinal infection, diarrhea, premature labor, food allergies, skin allergies, candidiasis and lactose intolerance. Research reveals that probiotics promote healthy immune and digestive systems. They can also help to regulate blood pressure and cholesterol level. You can buy commercial probiotics in the form of capsules, powders and tablets.
Side Effects of Probiotics
- If taken too quickly in high doses, they can cause mild digestive issues like abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating and flatulence.
- If taken in high doses, probiotics can also cause infections and headache.
- High probiotic intake can also affect the body’s autoimmune responses and metabolic processes.
- People suffering from a weak immune system or underlying disease are at higher risk of developing an infection as the live organisms in probiotic supplements can change the flora balance in their body.
- Research reveals that probiotics can react adversely with immunosuppressive medicines and endanger the patient’s health. Therefore, people who take immunosuppressive medications are advised to avoid probiotic supplements altogether.
More Side Effects of Probiotics
- It is essential to properly check the labels of probiotic supplements to ensure they do not contain ingredients that can affect you.
- Doctors advise patients suffering from pancreatic problems to strictly avoid probiotics because of their harmful side effects on these patients.
- Many people have reported diarrhea after starting to use probiotics. This side effect occurs because probiotics can affect the intestinal tract and reduce the amount of water it extracts from food. Therefore, regular probiotic users are recommended to increase their quantity of daily water intake.
We hope the side effects of probiotics revealed in this article will make prospective and current users more careful and circumspect. If you are one such consumer, consult your doctor for more advice on the benefits and risks of regularly consuming probiotic foods and supplements to improve your health.