The Importance of Hygiene
Practicing proper personal and environmental hygiene is a necessity to ensure good health and quality of life. In fact, the outbreak of many diseases like swine flu and bird flu can be blamed on lack of hygiene. In this article, we reveal the importance of hygiene and useful tips to practice it personally and socially.
Health Implications of Lack of Hygiene
It is essential to practice good hygiene to minimize the risk of infections and diseases. Bad habits like eating without washing your hands, skipping showers, wearing dirty clothes, etc. can cause grave health consequences. This is especially true in hot tropical countries and developing nations where people are exposed to humid weather and grimy road conditions. Besides, if you emanate bad breath and body odor, you will turn off even your best friends.
What Happens When You Don’t Wash Regularly
Skipping baths leads to accumulation of sweat, grime and deadly bacteria all over the body. Moisture and bacteria start collecting in places like the underarms, between the toes, in the groin area, etc. This can lead to all kinds of infections and diseases. So, it is essential to use a good quality antibacterial soap or body wash while showering regularly.
Importance of Hygiene
When you look and smell clean, it immediately makes you more attractive. Besides, you will also feel good about yourself and mingle with others with increased self-confidence. Imagine sitting next to an unwashed person in the bus or in the office! Neglecting hygiene can even resulting in losing your job, especially in professions like customer care and hospitality management, which lay great emphasis on looking and smelling good. Bad hygiene can also result in frequent infections and diseases which means your office attendance will suffer.
Tips to Practice Self Hygiene
- Brush your teeth twice daily. Floss regularly and gargle with a good mouth wash after meals to ensure ideal dental hygiene.
- Bathe daily to cleanse your body of sweat, grime, bacteria and other pollutants.
- Wear clean clothes every day and ensure your worn clothes are washed and cleaned to prevent skin disorders.
- Genital areas are more vulnerable to bacterial attacks and infections. So, ensure that you keep these areas clean and wear washed underwear every day.
- It is essential to wash your hands often because we constantly touch unclean public objects which are used by many others too.
How to Practice Environmental Hygiene
- In addition to personal hygiene, it is important to practice good environmental hygiene too to prevent viruses, bacteria, mosquitoes and other harmful organisms from thriving in your surroundings.
- Keep your home and surrounding areas clean by disposing of household waste properly in garbage cans.
- Put all your waste in recommended plastic bags and dispose them in the allotted public garbage bin.
- Never urinate or spit in public places. This not only makes you look like a Neanderthal but also stinks up and dirties the place too.
- If you feel your locality could be made more hygienic, take the initiative to contact the local officials and get the job done. It is worth the extra effort to ensure the good health of your loved ones and yourself.
We hope this article helps to make you realize the importance of hygiene which can prevent many avoidable infections and diseases. Never eat street food and only drink water and other beverages from reliable sources. It is worth taking extra precautions to practice good hygiene to ensure good health and great quality of life.