Bikram Yoga – An Overview
Bikram yoga is a form of hot yoga, founded out by Bikram Choudhary. It is a sequel of 26 postures performed in a heated room. The room is maintained at a temperature of 105 degrees Fahrenheit, which may give you a very bitter experience in the beginning, but it is assumed to increase flexibility and helps in getting rid of body toxins. The yogic postures include standing pose, backbends, forward bends and then finally twists. These postures are associated with Kapalabhati breath, designed to clear the head.
Why Bikram Yoga is practiced in a heated room?
- The intense heat allows you to practice a safer and deeper yoga pose.
- The heat makes the body become flexible and since the poses practiced in this hot yoga are mainly physically challenging, it allows you to easily perform the pose.
- It aids sweating which therefore helps in releasing the dangerous toxins from the body.
- Unlike other yogas which work only on muscles, this hot yoga works on internal organs.
- Each posture practiced in hot yoga strengthens the muscles, ligaments, joints and even works on internal organs such as nervous system and glands.
Yoga helps in strengthening the body and spine in all directions, therefore creating a union between mind, spirit and body. Just you need to practice it in a right manner.
Benefits of Bikram Yoga
Practicing Bikram yoga adds you many benefits. They include:
- The yoga postures in this form of yoga are designed in such a way that they help in warming up and stretching the tendons, ligaments and muscles.
- The yoga postures aid in cleansing the body and therefore release toxins.
- It improves blood circulation and reduces stress.
- It also helps in developing muscles and losing weight.
- This hot yoga is very beneficial for those suffering from diabetes, thyroid disorders and arthritis as it helps in reducing the symptoms and therefore prevents the ailments.
Bikram yoga is not recommended for people with high blood pressure and pregnant women.
An interesting fact
This hot yoga helped Bikram, the founder itself in getting recovered from knee injury he underwent in weightlifting. He was told by the doctors that he would never walk again in his life. He later consulted a Yoga teacher and resumed back to his yoga practice. The practice of asanas in Bikram yoga helped him in rebuilding muscles and walk again perfectly. Many athletes, ordinary people and Hollywood celebrities believe the practice of hot yoga helps in giving high performance levels, healing their bodies, career improvement, improving energy levels and mental clarity.