How to Deal with Hangover
Hangover is the unfortunate but inevitable side effect of a hard night’s drinking. Most of us struggle the next morning and wish there were effective remedies to cure the hangover. You may be surprised to know that there are indeed effective ways to deal with a hangover. Read on to learn more.
How to Cure a Hangover
- One of the best remedies is sound sleep. Stay in bed for a long time and make no haste to get up from its cozy comfort.
- After you do get up inevitably, drink plenty of water and fruit juice to rehydrate yourself. Orange juice is recommended as it rich in vitamin C. You can also drink Powerade or Gatorade to replenish yourself.
- Fight off the temptation to drink coffee as caffeine will only compound the dehydration.
- Take a long, soothing shower to refresh yourself.
- Many people say Alka Seltzer Morning Relief is a sure cure for hangovers.
- Do not let the hangover physically affect you. Exercise your willpower and will yourself to do exercises like cycling or brisk walking to detoxify your body through sweating, and to increase oxygen flow in the blood.
- Avoid taking ibuprofen, Tylenol or aspirin as alcohol in your system can magnify the side effects of these drugs.
Natural Remedies to Treat Hangover
- Milk thistle: Flushes out toxins and protects the liver.
- Ginger tea: Concoct a tea from ginger root, vinegar and brown sugar. This drink can relieve nausea and queasy stomach.
- Feverfew: Use this herb instead of aspirin.
- Honey: Speedily breaks down alcohol in the system and helps to discharge it from the body.
- Vitamin B6: Eat celery which is rich in this vitamin to reduce hangover symptoms.
- For breakfast, eat nutritious fruits like watermelon, grapes or grapefruits to restore lost fluid and energy.
- Eat plenty of yogurt which is loaded with calcium and can lift your drooping spirit.
- Bananas are a great fruit for treating hangover as they are rich in magnesium and potassium, which can relieve nausea and headache.
Since a hangover can affect you physically and mentally, ensure that you are free to spend the next day at home before binge drinking. Excess alcohol consumption can affect your body in many ways and a hangover is just a warning. So, drink judiciously and ensure your alcohol consumption is well within limits to avoid unfortunate health effects.