How to Overcome Loneliness
Despite the information overload and the soaring popularity of social media, many people suffer from loneliness, especially seniors. Though some alone time is essential for all of us, too much of solitude can lead to boredom and loneliness. If you are suffering from loneliness, read on to learn useful tips on how to overcome this dreaded condition.
Tips to Overcome Loneliness
- Do not try to treat loneliness by using or abusing drugs or alcohol. Though these narcotics may give a temporary high, after the buzz wears off, you’ll feel terrible because of the hangover and other undesirable side effects. And, if you get addicted, you’ll find yourself in more trouble.
- One way to beat loneliness is to start liking yourself. When you feel good about yourself, you’ll overcome negative thoughts and enjoy an upbeat mood most of the time. This positive energy can rub off on others and create great vibes all around.
- Start taking interest in yoga, meditation, tai chi or any other spiritual activity that gives both physical and mental benefits. When you start progressing in the spiritual path, you’ll start to enjoy your own company. Besides, joining a yoga or tai chi class is a great way to meet like-minded people and have stimulating conversations with them.
- Try to do some volunteer community work to help the needy. When you look around and see other people’s suffering, you’ll feel grateful and happy to be enjoying what little you have. Helping others will also make you realize life is not just about yourself. So, try to be compassionate and a little less self-centered to overcome loneliness.
- Try to contact your old buddies from school, college and work. You can share nostalgic memories with them as you fondly travel back the memory lane. This is also a great way to network and build connections, which can come in handy if you are looking for a job or better career prospects.
- Try to give more love and understanding to the people around you. As the saying goes, “You get what you give”. So, sharing and spreading love, positivity and compassion will create a great atmosphere wherever you go, and people will also start reciprocating these positive feelings towards you.
- If negative emotions like fear, anxiety and tension are haunting you, consult a therapist who can suggest useful tips to overcome them. Once you put mind over matter and conquer yourself, you will feel empowered and confident to go out and meet others and overcome loneliness.
- If you are interested in chess, scrabble, reading, writing or any other activity, you can join a local club and attend meetings. This can keep you occupied meaningfully and also enhance your competence at your chosen hobby.
- Get yourself an adorable pet. Yes, this can be hard work. But, a pet such as an adorable dog can light up your dreary life as you’ll have another being to care for and share love with.
- Scour through the newspaper and identify interesting organizations and groups that can help you meet like-minded people.
- You can also log into Internet chat rooms of your choice and discuss and debate on lively topics.
The most important thing to remember is that you cannot obtain happiness from external sources or other people. Happiness and positive emotions should emanate from within oneself. When you realize this, you’ll not mind loneliness and will start utilizing all the free time in your hands to become a better human being.