Knee Arthritis Symptoms
Arthritis is derived from the Greek word, meaning “joint inflammation”. Arthritis leads to disorder of the body joints. Septic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis are the most common arthritis types that are often seen in elderly people. If the cartilage of joint gradually deteriorates, it is known as osteoarthritis. As it becomes hard over a period of time, it results in deformity. Rheumatoid arthritis is caused due to the overactive immune system. This condition afflicts the symmetrical body parts such as knees and hands. The rheumatoid arthritis symptoms manifest slowly. Wear and tear of body because of common knee injuries, overweight, age, genetic factors, trauma to knee joint and any infection and illness can cause arthritis in knee. Abnormal metabolism may also result in knee arthritis. People suffering from knee arthritis face many difficulties in performing daily chores. Read through the below lines to know more about knee arthritis symptoms.
Symptoms of Knee Arthritis:
Following are the knee arthritis symptoms:
- Pain: One will experience constant pain in knee joint. If left untreated, joint pain may become severe.
- Hard bumps: The hard bumps may appear around the knee.
- Inflammation: One can observe swelling, redness or some tenderness around the knee. It is puffy to touch.
- Morning stiffness: The early sign of knee arthritis is stiffness in knee joint in the morning. There can be little improvement in day time.
- Knee deformity: Knee arthritis leads to wearing of protective cartilage and exposing the bare bone in joint. Bow legs or knock knees are seen because of the symptoms of knee arthritis.
- Difficulty to climb stairs: Difficulty while stepping down or climbing the stairs may be one of the knee arthritis symptoms.
- Limited motion: Since there is pain inside the knee, involving the knee during any activity, the motion is limited. There is difficulty in strengthening and bending of legs.
- Crunching sensation: If the cartilage is worn out, one may experience crunching or grinding sensation in knee joint. This is associated with the grinding of the bone against another bone. If the knee joint is moved, one can listen to the cracking or clicking noise.
- Burning sensation: One will also experience burning sensation in tendons and muscles of surrounding areas. Pain is caused by the repeated use of joint may get worsen.
- General symptoms: The knee arthritis symptoms may vary from one person to another. Weight loss, loss of energy, muscle pain, loss of appetite, muscle pain, fatigue and fever are some common symptoms.