Chest Infection Remedies
Generally chest infection occurs if the lower or upper respiratory tract gets afflicted because of the attacks of disease causing agents like bacteria or viruses. These infections can afflict both adults and children as well, but people with weak immune system are more susceptible to chest infections. In upper respiratory infections, pharynx, larynx, sinuses or nose are afflicted while in lower respiratory system, bronchi, trachea and lungs are affected. These infections can result in lung infections, pleurisy, bronchitis or pneumonia. The signs of chest infection begin to appear in a couple of days after one catches infection. As this infection can cause great discomfort, you must seek immediate medical attention. You may also try some chest infection remedies to alleviate the symptoms. Read through the below lines to know more about natural remedies for chest infection.
Chest Infection Remedies:
Although antibiotics are always prescribed for treating bacterial infection, you can also try some chest infection remedies. Following are some natural remedies for chest infection which alleviate certain chest infection symptoms.
- As chest congestion is a symptom of chest infection, you can try some natural remedies to get relief from chest congestion. Steam inhalation is one of the natural remedies that helps in loosening up phlegm. Also, one can add 2 – 3 drops of essential oils like eucalyptus oil to a bowl of hot water. After adding, lean over bowl and cover with a towel. As eucalyptus oil has anti-bacterial properties, you will get relief after inhaling the vapors.
- Having a tablespoon of honey two times also gives relief from chest congestion. This is another best remedy. You can also add 1 tablespoon of ginger juice to 2 tablespoons of honey and can consume it twice a day. Ginger is a great natural decongestant and has healing powers. This is another effective home remedy for chest infection.
- Take some caraway seeds and roast and crush them. Then inhale the aroma of these seeds. This also helps in getting rid of excess mucus.
- To get relief from chest congestion, you can also drink herbal teas. You can drink herbal tea prepared from fenugreek, thyme or licorice. Also you can drink tea made from honey, lemon and ginger.
- Add a tablespoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk and drink this. This is an effective remedy for chest congestion.
- People suffering from chest infections must avoid tea, coffee or carbonated drinks and must drink more water. Low intake of fluid delays recovery process, hence one must stay hydrated. Also, before retiring for the day drink one glass of warm water.
- Avoid fried foods, yogurt, rice, sweets, processed food, banana and dairy products as they produce excessive phlegm.
These are some effective chest infection natural remedies for adults and children. Don’t rely on these home remedies completely. It is better to consult the medical practitioner for chest infection treatment.