How to Get Past the Fear of Life
Fear is only as deep as the mind allows. ~Japanese Proverb
The fear of life refers to being scared of everything such that one finds it impossible to perform ordinary tasks without the crippling anxiety that something will go wrong, let alone perform risky tasks. It is good to note though that fear is what keeps us alive, it warns us of dangers that come from doing certain things, but the problem arises when this fear becomes neurotic to the extent that even the most ordinary of things is scary to you.
The fear of life will leave you paralyzed such that you can not even bear to come out into the open and therefore live the life of a hermit constantly inside. This is when it is at its extreme, while other people are always choosing the safe option and never taking any chances. All great things in life are a gamble and when one is not willing to take some risks, they will never know greatness, and will always be mediocre.
To be able to overcome fear, one needs to understand a few facts about it and how best to deal with it and here are some:
- Fear is not a bad thing, it is what essentially keeps you safe just like pain warns you that something is wrong. However, it gives you a belief that something is going to go wrong but the honest truth is this is not something you can know in advance. Just as something can go wrong, the other half of chance that it should go right, so do not let the fear stop from taking the chance.
- While you can overcome fear, you can never get rid of it. As human beings, nature has designed us to survive against all odds and fear is our radar that ensures this. The key is in being able to recognize the fear, weigh your options and make the right decision. Everyone has something they are afraid of, but they survive from letting go of the fear and going ahead as planned despite it. This is the only way you will ever be able to achieve anything, by moving out of your comfort zone.
How to overcome the fear and live in peace?
- The energy you use to sustain fear is the same used to sustain excitement and the physical feeling is pretty much the same, learn how to re-channel yourself and push that energy into the positive. Let go, relax and accept something to happen to you.
- Avoid negative thinking, you get what you give, if you are constantly afraid of rejection, you become scared and people can see it off you. As a result, when you ask someone out, they will refuse as no one wants to go out with a person who is not brave.
- Know that failure and rejection are not the end of the world. People make decisions everyday that turn out to be mistakes; they stand up, dust themselves off and move on. For example, inventors rarely get it right the first time, but they keep trying until they make something that can be put to good use by the society, and sometimes they stumble upon it when they are exploring something else. That is the beauty of taking chances.
- Surround yourself with a support system filled with people who love you and who love you as well. This will go a long way in helping you deal with your fear providing you with the necessary courage to move forward, while still offering a crutch to lean on when times get tough. Fear has a way of making you feel isolated and you need them to remind you that this is just an illusion and you are not really alone.
- And finally for those who have lived in perpetual fear, start by taking little steps to get out of the cycle. No one expects you to suddenly go bungee jumping, but you can take a train to work instead of getting stuck in traffic every morning because you are afraid that someone will mug you.
The fear of life will eat at you, like any other pain, it is just as crippling and it will ensure that you live a substandard life. Shake it off and grab life by the horns and try to enjoy it, life is too short for you to spend it in constant mental pain that is fear.
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. ~H. P. Lovecraft
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today. ~William Allen White
Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy. ~Dale Carnegie