Liver Damage Symptoms
Liver is a vital organ in human body. It plays many important roles in the metabolism process. Here are a few important functions of the liver:
Functions of the Liver:
- Removes excessive bile from body
- Produces blood clotting agents
- Produces essential nutrients
- Recycles erythrocytes by breaking down them
- Deals with toxic substances and drugs absorbed through the intestine
- Processes the nutrients which are produced by the digestion of foods
Bile is the byproduct of red blood cell recycling process. It plays a vital role in fat digestion. If liver gets damaged and unable to remove excess bile from the body, it can cause serious problems. If bile is present in large amounts, it makes face, skin and white part of eyes look pale. This health condition is called jaundice. This indicates liver damage or failure. There are many signs and symptoms of liver damage, but before knowing them, let us have a look at the causes of liver damage.
Liver Damage Causes:
- The immune system of the body attacks and destroys the liver cells
- Primary biliary cirrhosis, often observed in women
- Virus infections like Hepatitis C and Hepatitis B
- Genetic disorders
- Metabolic disorders
- Hemachromatosis that is excessive accumulation of iron in liver cells
Liver Damage Symptoms:
- Nausea, weight loss, loss of energy, lack of appetite, weakness and fatigue are the early signs of liver damage.
- If the liver gets damaged, it can’t remove bilirubin from bloodstream. The white part of eyes and skin become yellow because of its presence in blood. This condition is known as jaundice. This is the major cause of liver damage.
- One can observe change in color and presence of the nails. They look white rather than pink color. They become more curved.
- Loss of appetite, gradually results in anemia and weight loss. Also, there is indigestion of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome is another important sign of liver damage.
- Stool of the person becomes lighter in color due to absence of bile.
- Nearly 20% of the patients suffering from liver disease, observe darkening of the skin.
- Enlarged liver is the most common symptom in many patients. This is known as hepatomegaly.
- If the above problems are severe, it increases pressure on diaphragm, resulting in breathing complications.
- Polyuria (frequent urination) and polydipsia (excessive thirst) are other liver damage symptoms.
- With the help of kidneys, liver removes excessive fluids from the body. If the liver gets damaged, the body retains fluids. This condition is called bloating.
- Spider nevus is another important symptom of liver damage. This is a spot which is surrounded by blood vessels.
- In 50% of male patients, one can observe shrinkage of testes and enlargement of breasts.
- As liver cannot produce blood clotting protein, there is a delay in blood clotting.
- Presence of blood in stools and nose bleeding are the symptoms of liver damage in advanced stage.