How to Treat an Ear Infection?
An ear infection refers to an infection in any of the three parts of ear, that is inner, external and middle ear. Ear infection in inner part is called Otitis interna, external ear infection is called Otitis externa and middle ear is called Otitis media. Entry of germs, bacteria, virus or foreign bodies cause ear infection and hamper the normal functionality. Nasal congestion, irritability, fever, discharge from ear, inability to sleep, headache, pain and swelling in ear are the symptoms of ear infection. Both adults and children are affected with this condition. It can cause great discomfort, if timely treatment is not taken. Following are some effective treatments for ear infection that a person must follow.
How to Treat an Ear Infection?
Medications for Ear Infection:
- Antibiotics: If the infection is new, doctors may prescribe antibiotics. However, these kill bacteria only and not the virus which cause ear infection.
- Pain relievers: Aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen are prescribed by the doctors for relieving the pain. These medications help in reducing the pain and also fever, which may occur in the person because of ear infection.
- Decongestants: Pseudoephedrine, antihistamines and diphenhydramine are some decongestants which may be prescribed by the doctor for the ear infection in adults. These treat bacterial infections and reduce the swelling in Eustachian tube.
Home Remedies for Ear Infection:
- Hydrogen Peroxide: This is the most popular home remedy. Pour 2 – 3 drops of hydrogen peroxide in the infected ear and wait till you experience bubbling in the ear. This solution clears the excessive waste accumulated in the ear and thereby cures the infection.
- Garlic: This is a natural antibiotic. Hence, it is an effective natural remedy for an ear infection. Take a tablespoon of linseed oil and 4 garlic cloves. Boil them in oil and allow it to cool down till it becomes lukewarm. Now, pour 2 – 3 drops of oil in the infected area. This decreases the pain.
- Oils: Using a mixture of oils is another best remedy to cure ear infection. Mix 1 tablespoon of almond oil, 2 drops of lavender oil, 3 drops of tea tree oil and 2 drops of chamomile oil and stir them well. Heat this mixture until lukewarm and now put 2 drops of mixture in infected ear. Make sure that the oil is not too hot else it can burn ear canal.
- Washcloth: Soak washcloth in hot water and squeeze the excess water. Now put this moist cloth near the paining ear for a few minutes. This reduces the swelling and thereby pain also.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is known for natural pain relieving property. Take a tablespoon of olive oil and warm the oil. Now, pour 2 – 3 drops of warm oil in the infected ear.
- Colloidal silver: This is another popular remedy for ear infection. This is effective on broad spectrum of fungus, viruses and bacteria. Hence, colloidal silver plays a vital role in eliminating the infection.
- Onion juice: This is another useful home remedy for ear infection. Extract onion juice and pour it into a dropper. Now, pour a few drops into the affected ear.