Causes and Possible Complications from Vaginal Pain
Vaginal pain can be serious issue or it can be simple. Whichever it is , knowing the cause and being able to deal with it is what every woman wants. This can get uncomfortable very fast, making it difficult for you to concentrate on anything and getting rid of it as fast as possible is the best way forward.
The vaginal pain may vary from severely intense to mild and this is dependent on what is causing the pain. It is good to remember that the pain itself is not the end result but rather is symptomatic of something else that is wrong.
Here are some conditions or circumstances that may cause pain in the vaginal area.
- Allergies to certain medications, especially those that tamper with the natural hormonal produce such as birth control medications.
- Irritation of the skin on the vaginal walls by soap, condoms, sexual activity, lubricants, shaving apparatus or anything else that might find its way down there.
- After menopause, there might be some vaginal dryness which is likely to cause friction and so cause some amount of pain.
- Vaginismus, which involves the contraction of the vaginal walls involuntarily, especially during sex. This is going to cause pain as it makes penetration more difficult and forceful.
- Endometriosis, a condition where uterine lining tissue exists outside the uterine wall.
- Ovarian cysts, tumors, or uterine fibroids.
- Injuries, irritation, or infections in the nearing organs such as the uterus, urethra, cervix, pelvis or even trauma to the abdomen. Any of these is likely to cause some pain in the vaginal area.
- Also, it could possibly be caused by a sexually transmitted infection and so if you have been having unprotected sex, it is best to have yourself checked immediately and start medication.
If left untreated, i.e. if you do not bother to find out the cause, vaginal pain may result into some further complications such as:
- Inability to perform sexually.
- Spreading of infection or the cancer or tumor.
- Sepsis and abscess.
- Infertility is usually not far behind in such cases.
Given the fact that vaginal pain is in a highly sensitive are, it is best that the pain be checked out whenever it occurs. It is not one of the pains to be taken lightly as it is always indicative of something that could be terribly wrong, especially in the case of complication. So if you are having this kind of pain, immediately book an appointment with a gynecologist.