Top 10 Ways to Deal with Anger and Stress
Among the common emotions of a man, anger is one of the most important and common destructive emotion. If this emotion happens impulsively it can also cause damage to careers, relationships and virtually every other aspects of life.
Sometimes it becomes very hard to control your anger when everything goes bad with you. There are many people who are frequently faced with anger management issues at one time or the other. Stressful life events, hormonal changes and emotional situations can make it extremely difficult to cope with anger. Anger is such an destroying emotion which every person feels at certain times, but it is very important to cope with anger and know about various ways to express your feelings in a healthy way without shouting, lashing out or becoming violent. Read this article to know such fantastic ways to deal with anger and stress.
Before reading further, you must know the basics of anger. Anger is a emotional feeling occurring naturally and it is generally experienced when you feel dejected, hurt, frustrated or hostile. It is a natural emotion but at times it can lead to behavior which is uncomfortable or out of control. Thus, one must understand that there is a positive side to anger too. Anger is also defined as an emotion which is not fixed and it will be experienced on a different level by different people, some can handle it properly while some cannot.
When you are angry, our programmed brains react aggressively and there is a rise in blood pressure of the body. There is also an increase in adrenaline level and our heart rate. These changes in our body gives us a feeling of power and strength.
Consequences of Anger
Anger can lead to the following consequences :
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Stomach problems
- Chronic lower back pain
- Suicidal thoughts
Things to do to Control Anger
When you can manage your anger you are able to express your feelings in a positive way. There are various ways to control anger which are as follows:
- When you become angry, repeat calming words or phrase like “relax” and “take it easy” in a calm and slow manner.
- Sit up straight and close your eyes, and try to breathe out the anger as deep breathing helps calm you and regain before losing control of yourself.
- Slowly stretch up your arms and legs outward as this help relieves physical tension.
- Get away from that place and breathe some fresh air as it will help you cool down and give you some perspective.
- To effectively calm down yourself and your stressed mind, try to do meditation as it helps induce a state of relaxation which triggers relaxation response.
- The next thing is to relax yourself, just lie down or sit back and loosen your muscles and clear your head of negative thoughts and the rest can put things in a proper way.
- The best antidote of negativity is to think positive and think about something which can make you happy.
- You just try to understand the reason why you are angry. For instance, if a particular person or situation is annoying you, go and talk to your friend about this. When you share your thoughts with a close person, you no more feel depressed and get relief.
- Eat a well balanced and healthy food and take proper rest as improper diet and lack of rest can make you feel irritable.
- If nothing help you out, then you can take counseling sessions as these sessions will make you realize that anger is not going to solve any problem and lashing out will not help in making you feel better.
The above are a few top ways to control anger and stress. Remember, if your anger needs to be addressed, then get help as soon as possible. Never go for any drugs or drinking to solve your issues as they will only increase your problems and make the situation worse. Thus, it is important to get a balance in life.