Pain and Sleep
If you suffer from pain, sound sleep at night may be difficult. Pain can cause problems such as delaying the onset of sleep, interrupting sleep at night and making you wake up earlier than normal. Lack of sleep can worsen the pain, leading to a vicious cycle. It can also cause fatigue, reducing your tolerance to pain. Read on for more information about pain and sleep.
Pain May Cause Sleep Deprivation
Pain at night may seem worse as there are no distractions in bed. Pain can also wake you up fully in the middle of the night. To cope with sleep deprivation, you may start habits such as changing your bedtime hours, and sleeping during the day. Instead of helping, these habits may worsen your sleep deprivation. To get relief from sleeplessness caused by pain, you need to develop good sleeping habits.
Tips to Sleep Well With Pain
- Relax yourself before your hit the sack. Do not watch the news or any stressful TV program.
- A warm bath before bedtime can induce sound sleep.
- Go to bed at a regular time. If sleep doesn’t overwhelm you in half an hour, get out of bed and do relaxing activities like reading.
- In the morning, try to get up at the same time.
- Do not sleep during the day. This habit may throw off your nightly sleep cycle.
- Do not drink caffeine-laden drinks in the evening.
- Do not perform strenuous exercises just before bedtime.
- But, exercise during the day as this will induce a healthy tiredness, which can promote sleep.
- A glass of warm milk before bedtime can induce good sleep.
- It is a myth that alcohol promotes sound sleep. On the contrary, alcohol can affect sleep patterns.
- Choose a pillow and mattress that are suitable for you.
- Keep your room temperature just right so that you don’t wake up in the middle of the night.
- If your muscles are aching, use heat pads to relax them.
- Listen to soothing music before bedtime to relax your mind.
- Try yoga, meditation and deep breathing exercises to relax body and mind, and get sound sleep.
- The yoga technique of yoga nidra is effective in promoting relaxation and good sleep.
- Get a soothing massage from your partner before bedtime, which can ease your pain.