SUPER BOWL 2011!!! Bowl, Beer and Buddies!!!
It’s the SUPER BOWL SUNDAY tomorrow!!! Get ready with the dip, chips, beer and a steady supply of antacids. Guess President Obama will not be interested in attending the Super Bowl XLV as Chicago Bears lost NFC Championship game and we all know that he is a strong Chicago Bears supporter. Sorry, Mr. President, but that won’t stop us from having a great time watching Pittsburgh Steelers take on Green Bay Packers on 6th February 2011 in Arlington, Texas. The day of the Super Bowl is considered unofficial American National holiday. Let us see some more interesting facts about one of the biggest sporting events not only in the United States of America but also in the World.
Super Bowl Fun Facts
- Guacamole is the popular snack which is consumed by the football fans during the game. It is believed that these fans consume about 8 million pounds of their favorite snack on Super Bowl Sunday. Not only this, they dip about 14,500 tons of chips into it.
- It is the second largest day of food consumption in the US after the Thanksgiving.
- The fans spend about $50 million on the food during the four days before the big game.
- Guess which is the biggest winter grilling day of the year? You guessed it right, it’s the Super Bowl Sunday.
- Out of the 10 most watched television programs ever, 9 are Super Bowls.
- Sales of the bigger TV sets see a five fold increase during the season.
- The commercial airtime during the broadcast of the Super Bowl is the most expensive in the year. Thanks to the huge viewership.
- People like to watch it with their friends and family. Only about 5% Americans watch the game alone.
- It is the top at home party, bigger than the New Year’s Eve. Beer, Bowl and Buddies, Way to go!!!
- One of the most entertaining parts of the Super Bowl is watching the new commercials. Interestingly, Budweiser has been the only Super Bowl advertiser in the beer category for 13 years.
- The Super Bowl XLIV which was played on the 7th February, 2010 between the Indianapolis Colts and the New Orleans Saints became the most-watched American television program so far. It got an audience of 106.5 million.
- Super Bowl weekend is the slowest weekend for the wedding. Need any reason???
- St. Patrick’s Day and the Super Bowl are the two days when the car accidents due to alcohol consumption are the highest. The observation was made by the Insurance Information Institute.
- 35% people who witness the spectacle write the event off as their corporate expense.
- The Monday following the Super Bowl Sunday about 6% Americans call in sick to work.
- On the Monday after the big event the sale of antacids goes up by 20%.
- Since 1980s, the game has always started around 6 p.m Eastern Time.
- More than 700,000 footballs are manufactured for official NFL use annually. 72 are used for the Super Bowl.
Super Bowl Trivia
- The first Super Bowl was played on January 15, 1967.
- The name “Super Bowl” was suggested by Lamar Hunt, founder of the American Football Conference (AFC). He saw his daughter playing with her toy known as “Super Ball”. Since the college football matches were held in stadiums which were in the shape of a bowl, the Super Bowl was decided upon.
- Originally, the game was played in January. The day shifted to the second Sunday in January to third to fourth. Finally, now the event is held on the first Sunday of February every year.
- The winning team takes home Vince Lombardy Trophy which is crafted by Tiffany and Co. The 7 pound trophy is valued around $25,000.
- Miami has hosted the event the most number of times (10 times)
- Pittsburgh has won the trophy the most number of times (16 times)
- Denver, Minnesota and Buffalo have lost it the most number of times (4 times)
The interesting facts about the Super Bowl only prove that it is more than just a game for the Americans. Hope your team lifts up the cup. Cheers to that!!!