Ibuprofen Can Provide Relief from Migraine Headaches Within Two Hours
It is indeed good news for all migraineurs. As the title of the article suggests, researchers at the Pain Research and Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics at the University of Oxford, have found that nearly 50 percent of migraine patients can get relief within two hours on taking ibuprofen.
The finding can have deeper implications as migraine headaches are among the top 20 most disabling medical illnesses in the world affecting more than 10 percent of the population according to the Migraine Research Foundation.
What Research Learnt about Ibuprofen and Migraine Headaches?
- There are several misleading conclusions on the efficacy of this drug obtained from individual studies.
- The purpose of this study was to find a definite answer regarding the effectiveness of the drug ibuprofen in treating these headaches and their symptoms too.
- The conclusions of the study were published by an international organization The Cochrane Collaboration which evaluates research in the field of medicine.
- The knowledge gained was evidence-based after carefully studying the available material on the subject.
- 4,373 adults suffering from this pain for more than 12 months and belonging to the age group 30-40 years were the participants.
- As a part of the study, 414 people were given 200 mg, 1,615 people received 400mg and 208 people had 600 mg of this drug.
- 1,127 people were given pills with no effect and were available for comparison of results at the end of the study.
- 26 percent of 400mg dose patients were free from pain within two hours in comparison to 20 percent low dosage people and 11 percent people with practically no treatment (placebo group).
- The severity of the pain changed from intense or moderate to mild one in 57 percent of 400mg dose people in comparison to the 25 percent of the placebo group patients.
- Symptoms of aura, vomiting, nausea and light sensitivity also decreased within two hours in many participants on taking the drug.
Significance of the Ibuprofen Effectiveness Research:
Migraine headaches last between four to 72 hours. According to the the Migraine Research Foundation, more than $13 billion are lost every year by American employers owing to this pain. 49 percent of the patients take over-the-counter medication, 20 percent of them use prescribed medicines and 29 percent take both the forms only to remain dissatisfied.
The severity of the pain varies from person to person and so are the treatment options chosen to get relief. Desperate to find relief and lacking awareness on the appropriate drug to be chosen, many migraine sufferers take ibuprofen drug. Individuals for whom this drug works, can get it easily available apart from its low cost and effectiveness. the rest have to look for alternative treatments unfortunately.