Hyperemesis Gravidarum – Treatment and Remedies for Hyperemesis Gravidarum
Hyperemesis gravidarum is a severe, persistent vomiting and nausea that happens during pregnancy. It is a morning sickness that occurs during first 3 months of pregnancy. The condition can occur at any time of the day and may also continue throughout the pregnancy period. It may cause serious complications where as the pregnant women suffer severe vomiting and no food can can be kept down. The treatment and remedies for hyperemesis gravidarum are discussed below.
Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treatment
Lifestyle changes and medications help to treat hyperemesis gravidarum. The dietary habits should be changed. Intake foods rich in carbohydrates and proteins like milk, nuts, cheese and crackers. Consume lot of water and avoid eating fatty foods.
The doctor may suggest the following medications to treat hyperemesis gravidarum:
- Vitamin B6 – Available both as oral and injections. It helps ease nausea.
- Antihistamines – Gives relief from motion sickness and eases nausea.
- Metoclopramide – Help in increasing the movement of food through the digestive tract.
- Phenothiazine – Helps ease vomiting and nausea.
- Antacids – Absorbs stomach acids and prevents acid build-up.
- Sedatives and anti-nausea drugs – They induce sleep and allow a person to take rest.
Treatment of hyperemesis gravidarum in severe cases:
In severe cases of hyperemesis gravidarum, doctor may suggest the patient for hospitalization. The patient is continuously treated by providing electrolytes, intravenous fluids, glucose and other nutritional supplements. Vitamin levels in the blood are monitored regularly and any deficiency is treated through providing supplements. Pregnant women require much care than normal affected women. The health care provider continuously monitors the pregnant women by providing high levels of proteins, calories, iron and folate supplements.
Remedies for Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Acupressure – The pressure point to reduce nausea is present in the middle of inner wrist, three fingers length away from the wrist in between the two tendons. Locate this point and press it slowly for three times at a time. This helps in relieving the nauseated feeling and nausea.
- Bed rest – Take a complete bed rest. This provides relief and comfort.
- Homeopathic remedies – These are very effective remedies and are non-toxic. But always see to that you use only the prescribed medicines.
Herbal remedies – Peppermint and ginger are very effective remedies for hyperemesis gravidarum.
Hypnosis – This is also very effective remedy