Irritable Bowel Syndrome – Treatment and Home Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome is a disorder that affects digestive tract. It causes discomfort, stress and is characterized by symptoms such as diarrhoea, abdominal pain, bloating, cramping, etc. The disease condition can be controlled by medications, controlling stress and through a proper dietary food. The condition is more common in women an people below the age 35 are most affected. The treatment and home remedies for irritable syndrome are discussed below.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatment
Irritable bowel syndrome can be best treated with medications. The doctor suggests certain medications to relieve the person from symptoms.
- Laxatives of fibre supplements – for constipation and diarrhoea
- Antispasmodic – reduces abdominal pain and control muscle spasms of colon
- Antidepressants – relieve some symptoms
- Antidepressants and antispasmodics are sedatives i.e cause drowsiness hence they are rarely prescribed.
- Alosetron hydrochloride – It is most specifically prescribed to treat irritable bowel syndrome. Doctors suggest this medication to women who do not respond to conventional therapies. Side effects include decreased blood flow to colon and severe constipation.
Doctor’s instructions are very important while taking medications. Different people respond different to the medications. A combination of counselling, support and diet helps to reduce the irritable bowel syndrome symptoms.
Home Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Listed below are few home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome:
- Prepare tea by adding one teaspoon of flax seed in a cup of water. Consume this at night. It is a very effective remedy for irritable bowel syndrome.
- Eating raw ginger or consuming ginger tea is very effective and reduces inflammation.
- Herbs such as lemon balm, rosemary, valerin and chamomile are very good herbal remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
- Add rock salt to lukewarm water and consume it.
- Add black salt to pomegranate seeds and consume them. It is very effective remedy.
- Immerse 10 grams of gooseberries in water. They become soft after sometime, now drain out the water and take them along with black salt.