Intermittent Claudication – Treatment, Prevention and Natural Remedies for Intermittent Claudication
Intermittent claudication also called as claudication, is a condition characterized by pain in the legs and arms. The pain occurs while doing physical activities such as walking. It is caused due to inadequate blood supply to the muscles of legs and arms. This happens if the arteries are blocked due to cholesterol build-up. The disease condition may lead to serious complications if not treated early. The treatment, prevention and natural remedies for intermittent claudication are discussed below.
Intermittent Claudication Treatment
Treatment of intermittent claudication at early stages after the diagnosis helps in reducing the condition to get more worse. The most important thing is to follow an healthy lifestyle. Along with that, doctor may suggest following treatment methods to treat the condition.
The doctor prescribes few medications to treat the following conditions. They include:
- Preventing blood clot formation
- Improving blood flow
- Reducing the narrowing of arteries
The types of medications mostly prescribed are statins, cilostazol, ticlopidine, dipyridamole and clopidogrel.
Most serious claudication cases are treated through angioplasty. A narrow tube is inserted along the length of the damaged blood vessel that enables the blood vessel to widen. At the same time, a stent is implanted along with the tube to keep the artery patent. After the artery opens, a plastic mesh is inserted to keep it patent always.
The doctor may recommend this treatment if ulcers develop with along intermittent claudication. It is a chamber that has rich oxygen which helps to damage the blisters and enhance cell growth.
In this method, a damaged blood vessel is replaced with a healthy blood vessel taken from other part of the body.
Prevention of Intermittent Claudication
Intermittent claudication can be prevented if you follow a healthy lifestyle. The measures that are to be followed along with healthy lifestyle include:
- Eat low saturated fat foods
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Do regular exercises
- Maintain your blood sugar levels if you are diabetic
- Quit smoking
- Keep your blood pressure and cholesterol levels low
Natural Remedies for Intermittent Claudication
Listed below are few herbal remedies that are very effective in treating intermittent claudication:
- Ginger root – Ginger is a common ingredient in Asian cooking. It improves the blood circulation and makes the muscles relaxed.
- Gingko biloba – It is the most effective remedy for claudication. It dilates the arteries and thus reduces blood pressure.
- Green tea – It lowers the amount of cholesterol in the blood stream and improves blood flow.
- Olive leaf – Olive leaf extract is very effective remedy that lowers the blood pressure and maintains regular heartbeat.
- Maitake – It is a Chinese mushroom that is a very good remedy. It lowers blood cholesterol levels and decreases the high blood pressure.
- Hawthorn – It helps in reducing the hardening of arteries, strengthens heart muscles, improves blood flow.
- Turmeric – It is used in dishes an is very powerful. It contains curcumin that lowers cholesterol levels and improves blood flow.