Impotence – Causes and Symptoms of Impotence
Impotence is a sexual disorder observed among men. It is the inability to sustain an erection during sexual intercourse. It is also known as erectile dysfunction. The condition varies from total inability in achieving ejection to sustaining only small ejections.
The condition can occur at any age and the risk increases with age. It is more common in men above the age 60 years. Men with unhealthy food habits, unhealthy lifestyles and less physical activity are at greater risk of developing impotence.
Causes of Impotence
Impotence condition has many wide causes. The causes include:
- Problems related to penis structure and its surrounding tissues may cause impotence.
- Disease conditions such as kidney disorders, multiple sclerosis, diabetes mellitus cause the condition.
- Emotional or psychological factors such as grief, anxiety and stress may lead to the condition.
- Damage to fibrous tissues, smooth muscles and arteries that happen as a result of infection or surgery interfere the blood flow to penis and result in impotence.
- Smoking and obesity affects the arteries and blood flow.
- Excess consumption of alcohol and addiction of drugs increase the risk.
Medications such as antidepressants, antihistamines, hypertension drugs, appetite suppressants, etc may lead to impotence.
Low levels of testosterone hormone cause the condition.
Symptoms of Impotence
Impotence condition is accompanied with many other symptoms. The signs and symptoms include:
- Social withdrawal
- Low-self control
- Problems with relationship
- Lack of interest in sex
Impotence itself is a symptom that occurs in other disease conditions. The disease conditions are cardiovascular disease, atherosclerosis and diabetes.
- In atherosclerosis disease condition, the arteries tend to become narrow due to the plaque formation inside. Hence clots are formed that results in obstruction in blood flow that may also include penis.
- Impotence is also an indication for heart diseases and the man may develop heart stroke or attack.
- Diabetes damages the arteries and thus block the blood flow that may include penis.