Impetigo Disease – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Impetigo Disease
Impetigo disease is a skin infection that is caused by the two types of bacteria namely staphylococcus and streptococcus. The skin infection is common in all individuals and mostly children are affected. It is a highly contagious infection and spreads mostly through direct contact. Presence of eczema, heat and humidity are the favourable factors for developing the impetigo infection. The treatment, prevention and remedies for impetigo infection are discussed below.
Impetigo Disease Treatment
Treating impetigo disease is very easy. In some cases, it can disappear and dry on its own. Mild infections can simply be treated by:
- Gently cleansing the blister site
- Removing dried patches i.e crusts
- Applying antibiotic ointment prescribed by the doctor.
Severe and wide spread cases can be treated through oral antibiotic medications. Medications that are commonly prescribed by the medical physician are:
- Penicillin and its derivatives
Prevention of Impetigo Disease
The following measures help in preventing the risk factors of impetigo disease:
- Wash your hands regularly and maintain a good hygiene
- Give a regular bath to the infants and children
- Cuts, bruises and insect bites should be taken care and should not be scratched
- The following factors help in reducing the impetigo infection
- Wash and clean the injuries and cuts regularly
- Keep the fingernails short and clean
- Cover the blisters with bandage to avoid the spread of fluid to other parts of the body
- Use only antibacterial soap to avoid the further infection
- Use tissue papers instead of cloth napkins and towels
Home Remedies for Impetigo Disease
Listed below are few home remedies for impetigo disease:
- Turnip is the best home remedy for impetigo disease. Slices of turnip are soaked in rice water or natural vinegar for 6 hours. Consume these turnip slices regularly.
- Add 1/4th cup of apple cider vinegar to 2 cups of water. Cleaning the affected area with this solution helps in removing the scabs of impetigo.
- Grapefruit seed, tea tree oil, garlic oil and olive oil extracts are very effective therapeutic remedies for impetigo.
- Using aloe vera gel regularly for 3 to 5 times a day cures the impetigo infection.
- Crush the garlic and apply it on the affected area. It is a very effective home remedy for impetigo.