Hydronephrosis – Treatment and Home Remedies for Hydronephrosis
Hydronephrosis is a swelling of one or both the kidneys due to back flow of the urine. This condition is not a disease itself but occurs along with other disease conditions. Conditions such as kidney stones, back-flow of urine from bladder to kidney, etc can cause hydronephrosis. Approximately, 1 in 100 people are known to get affected with the condition. The treatment and home remedies for hydronephrosis are discussed below.
Hydronephrosis condition is treated depending on the cause and severity of urine blockage and back-flow. Treatment is done to:
- Remove the urine build-up in kidneys and relieve the pressure
- To prevent further complications
Removing the urine build-up
In acute hydronephrosis condition, the urine build—up should be quickly drained out to prevent kidney damage. A small incision is made in the skin and a tube is inserted directly into the kidney. This makes the urine to flow outside and thus relieves the pressure on kidneys.
In chronic hydronephrosis condition i.e hydronephrosis which develops slowly, an immediate treatment is not required. But the urine build-up must be drained out. In this condition, soft tubes are inserted into the ureters to allow urine to flow out.
Treating the cause and preventing further complications
After the urine build-up is treated and removed, the cause for the condition has to be treated. Surgical treatment is performed to remove the kidney stones from the kidney or ureter. Even the abnormal parts of ureter are removed through surgery. If the junction in between the bladder and ureter is blocked, the ureter is removed from that part and attached to a different part of the bladder.
Antibiotic medications are prescribed by the doctor to decrease the pain and infections after the surgery.
Home remedies for Hydronephrosis
Listed below are few home remedies for hydronephrosis
- Mix 2 teaspoons of olive oil with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Consume it followed with a glass of water. This is very effective home remedy for kidney stones that would lead to hydronephrosis.
- Watermelon is very good for patients with kidney stones.
- Make a fine paste of pomegranate seeds and take it along with a cup of horse gram soup. It helps in dissolving the stones that cause hydronephrosis.
- Prepare juice of radish leaves and take a cup of juice twice a day.
- Consume tomato juice early in the morning. For better results, add salt and pepper to it.
- Consume lots of water and other fluids.