Influenza – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Influenza
Influenza is an infectious respiratory disease caused by influenza viruses. It can cause severe illness and may lead to death. It mainly affects the throat, nose, bronchial branches and lungs. The infection is characterized by headache, high fever, muscle pains and depression. It is common disease condition that can affect people of all ages and sex. The treatment, prevention and home remedies for influenza are discussed below.
Influenza condition doesn’t require any specific treatment. Taking plenty of fluids and bed rest can treat the condition.in severe cases, doctor may prescribe some medications that help to reduce the symptoms.
Medications – The doctor prescribes antiviral medications. These drugs stop the growth and spread of virus by deactivating the enzyme that helps the virus to grow. They even reduce the period of illness by a day or two. Side effects are caused that include difficulty in breathing, loss of appetite, vomiting, nausea and light-headedness.
The following measures help to prevent the risk of influenza and its transmission. They include:
- Get vaccinated against the virus. The best time for vaccination is in between October to November. This helps in developing antibodies against the virus and thus immunity by the body against influenza.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue while sneezing or coughing
- If you are affected with the flu, stay in the home from work
- Do not share utensils, cups and personal items
- Never use the already used tissues
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly
- Exercise regularly
- Take a balanced diet
- Have enough of sleep. In general adults need to have 8 hours of sleep and children in between 9 to 10 hours.
Home Remedies for Influenza
Listed below are few home remedies for influenza:
- Prepare onion juice and mix equal amounts of honey to it. Consume three teaspoons of this mixture everyday. It is very effective home remedy for influenza.
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of hot milk. Consume it 3 times a day. It is very effective remedy.
- Take half teaspoon of ginger juice. Add 2 teaspoons of honey and half teaspoon of pepper powder to it. Take this mixture 3 times a day and this is very effective if taken at early stages of influenza.
- Add few slices of ginger and fresh holy basil leaves to the boiling water. Let the water continue to boil for few minutes. Allow the water to cool, strain it and drink. It provides quick relief from cold and cough.