Klinefelter Syndrome – Treatment of Klinefelter Syndrome
Klinefelter syndrome is a chromosome related disorder. It has a serious impact on men who have an extra X chromosome. It is a rare disorder that affects about 1 in 1000 men. The condition affects the testosterone hormone levels leading to a number of physical and physiological defects in males. The treatment of Klinefelter syndrome is discussed below.
Klinefelter Syndrome Treatment
The treatment of Klinefelter syndrome can help in preventing further complications and helps in minimizing the effects. But the changes in sex chromosomes cannot be repaired. The treatment methods include:
- Males with Klinefelter syndrome do not produce adequate testosterone hormone. Even the puberty is delayed in those males.
- Testosterone therapy is suggested by the doctor to increase the testosterone levels.
- In this therapy, testosterone is given through injections or a gel applied on the skin.
- The therapy greatly helps the males to develop the normal features such as increase in muscle mass, facial and body hair and other secondary sexual characters.
- It does not help in improving the infertility and testicle enlargement.
Removal of Breast Tissue
- In some cases, males develop breasts due to hormonal effects. This physical feature is called as gynecomastica.
- Surgery would help in removing the excess breast tissue and thus making it look normal.
- Testosterone replacement therapy also helps in reducing the breast tissue growth.
Physical and Speech Therapy
- These treatment methods help in reducing the symptoms of Klinefelter syndrome in children.
- They help in improving the speech, muscle tone and language.
- Children with Klinefelter syndrome has difficulty in learning.
- Talk to your child’s teacher or counsellor so that extra care and assistance could be taken on the child.
- Having Klinefelter syndrome poses a great challenge, especially on the young adults and children at their puberty stage.
- They need to be given psychological counselling so that they can cope up with infertility problem and through emotional issues.