Legionnaires Disease – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Legionnaires Disease
Legionnaires disease was first identified in 1976 as a result of epidemic of pneumonia in a meeting of American Legion. It is a fatal form of pneumonia caused by a bacterium called legionella pneumophila. The disease condition can be developed by inhaling the bacteria present in water delivery systems. The mild form of the disease is Pontiac fever. It is characterized by fatigue, vomiting, fever, breathlessness, diarrhoea, nausea and other mental illnesses. The treatment, prevention and home remedies for Legionnaires disease are discussed below.
Legionnaires Disease Treatment
Legionnaires disease can be treated only with antibiotics. Pontiac fever, the milder form of the disease condition do not require any treatment as it subsides by itself. The sooner the treatment, the lesser the complications. Doctor may suggest the following antibiotics to fight the bacterial infection:
- Macrolides such as erythromycin, clarithromycin or azithromycin
- Quinolones such as gatifloxacin, moxifloxacin, levefloxacin or ciprofloxacin
Other treatment methods of Legionnaires disease include:
- Supply of oxygen through breathing machine or mask
- Fluid and electrolyte treatment
Legionnaires Disease Prevention
Even-though Legionnaires disease cannot be prevented, some measures can be practiced to prevent the risk of developing the condition. Listed below are some of the preventive measures:
- Always see to that the water systems are cleaned and disinfected
- Avoid smoking as it increases the risk of developing the condition
Home Remedies for Legionnaires Disease
Listed below are few home remedies for Legionnaires disease:
- Apply hot compresses using a hot water bottle or a heating pad on the chest to relieve pain.
- Olive leaf extract is very effective against pneumonia and sore throat. It also protects against bacterial and viral infections.
- Echinacea is also very effective as it stimulates immune system.
- Tea made from catnip is good for reducing fever.
- Goldenseal is a natural antibiotic and is very effective remedy.
Prognosis of Legionnaires Disease
Legionnaires disease is a life-threatening condition. It may be more serious and even results in death if the affected person is having other disease conditions. People with Legionnaires disease has 50% chances of death if early treatment is not provided.