Lichen Planus – Treatment and Remedies for Lichen Planus
Lichen planus is a skin condition in which rash is developed due to inflammation. The rashes may develop in the areas of mouth and also genital regions. Rash is identified as a flat, raised and rough bumps that develop into scaly and rough patches. It affects about 1 to 2% of population and women are predominantly affected to a higher extent. The condition may be caused due to exposure to certain chemicals and is also known to affect from hepatitis C virus.
Lichen Planus Treatment
Lichen planus on the skin generally sweeps off without treatment. But it may take more than 1 to 2 years for the symptoms to subside. Periodic observation and self-care measures are necessary if the symptoms are mild. Doctor may prescribe some creams and lotions if the symptoms are bothersome and severe. The treatment methods include:
- Oral corticosteroid medications in the form of pills
- Ointments or creams that are steroid sparing immune modulating medications.
- Ointments or creams that are topical corticosteroid medications applied on the skin
- Photo-therapy along with ultraviolet light
Self-care measures should also be followed along with the above treatment methods. They help in reducing the inflammation and itching. Some of them include:
- Cool compresses
- Soaking the affected area in tub filled with colloidal oatmeal
- If itching is severe, take over-the counter oral antihistamines prescribed by the doctor.
Remedies for Lichen Planus
Homeopathic treatment is very effective for lichen planus. The homeopathic treatment varies for each individual depending on some factors such as:
- Area affected (scalp, nails, genitals, skin or mouth)
- Extent of spread of the condition
- Duration of lichen planus
- Health and associated diseases
Doctors may prescribe the following remedies to treat lichen planus. Some of the commonly suggested homeopathic remedies are:
- Sulphur lodatum – This is given to treat rashes that accompanied with severe itching.
- Antim crud – This is very effective in some cases where the tongue is coated with thick white patches due to lichen planus.
- Arsenic lodatum – This remedy is good when the skin becomes itchy, scaly and dry.