Leukemia – Causes and Symptoms of Leukemia
Leukemia is a cancer of the tissue that forms blood. Blood cells generally develop from bone marrow. But in this disorder,the bone marrow produces abnormal white blood cells called as leukemia cells.These cells destroy the other normal red blood cells ,white blood cells and platelets. Hence it develops cancer in lymphatic system and bone marrow.
Leukemia can exist in many forms. Some of the forms can occur only in children and other forms exclusively in adults. It is estimated that about 2000 children and 29000 adults are diagnosed with leukemia in the United States.
Causes of Leukemia
The main causes of leukemia are not known. But it is assumed that the condition may develop from a combination of environmental and genetic factors
- Radiations – Prolonged exposure to radiations of X-Rays and some other diagnostic imaging scans can increase the chances of leukemia development.
- Chemicals – Some chemicals like formaldehyde and benzene on inhaling accidentally can account for leukemia development .
- Smoking – People who smoke are at a greater risk of developing leukemia.
- Family history – The risk of inheriting the disease is more if any member of the family are diagnosed with the condition.
- Genetic diseases – Certain genetic condition such as Down syndrome and other genetic abnormalities increase the risk of leukemia.
- Blood disorders – Some blood disorders such as myelodysplastic syndrome increase the risk of leukemia .
- Viral Infection – Infection with the virus,Human T-cell Leukemia Virus (HTLV-1) is associated with leukemia .
- Prior cancer treatments – People who underwent treatments such as radiation therapy and chemo therapy for cancers are at greater risk of developing leukemia.
Symptoms of Leukemia
The signs and symptoms of leukemia differ depending on the form of leukemia .the common signs and symptoms f leukemia include:
- Tenderness or pain in the bone
- Excess sweating
- Red spots on the skin
- Easy bruising and bleeding
- Enlarged spleen and liver
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Weight lose
- Frequent infections
- Fever with chills