Indigestion – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Indigestion
Indigestion is a medical condition also called as dyspepsia. The affected person experiences symptoms such as feeling uncomfortable after a meal or fullness during a meal and pain or burning sensation in the upper abdominal area. Conditions such as ulcers, cancers, pancreas and bileduct abnormalities, gastroesophageal reflux diseases may cause indigestion. The treatment, prevention and home remedies for indigestion are discussed below.
Indigestion is treated through medications. Doctors prescribe medications that help in decreasing the stomach acids production and allow the food to move quickly into the small intestine. The most suggested medications are:
- Antacids – These are recommended frequently by the doctors. They help in neutralizing the acids in the stomach and thus relieve the indigestion symptoms quickly. They have no side effects.
- Prokinetics – These improve muscle action in the digestive tract and help in stomach emptying. Side effects include muscle spasms, depression, anxiety, sleepiness and fatigue.
- Proton pump inhibitors – They reduce the stomach acid production and help in treating the indigestion symptoms that could arise from GERD. Side effects include diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, nausea, headache, dizziness, cough and back-pain.
- H2 receptor antagonists – They also help in reducing stomach acid production but take longer time to act. Side effects include bruising, diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, nausea and headache.
Prevention of Indigestion
The following measures help to prevent indigestion condition and its symptoms :
- Take light foods and even control the intake of citrus fruits and tomatoes.
- Stay away from the emotional disturbances like stress, anxiety and fear.
- Avoid wearing tight fitting clothes especially after having food since it may disturb the digestive process.
- Avoid junk and stale food items.
- Avoid consuming excess chocolates and alcohol. They create problem in digestion process.
Home Remedies for Indigestion
Listed below are few home remedies for indigestion:
- Mix a teaspoon of ginger juice in a quarter cur of warm water. A teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of salt can also be added to make it more effective. Consume this 2 to 3 times a day.
- Eat a half teaspoon of aniseed to improve digestion process.
- If symptoms like acidity and stomach distension occurs, drink water immediately for a quick relief.
- Consume buttermilk after every meal. Add a little salt and roasted cumin seeds to increase its effectiveness. It improves digestion.
- Consume a small piece of ginger with salt before a meal. This helps in stimulating digestion.
- Mix lemon juice in warm water and take this 3 times a day to improve digestion process.
- Take excess of fruit juices, fruits and boiled vegetables in your diet.
- Papaya helps in digestion and clears the stomach. It is very effective in summer.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in half glass of water. Drink this for an instant relief from indigestion.