Hereditary Non Polyposis Colorectal Cancer (HNPCC) – Treatment, Prevention and Remedies for HNPCC
Hereditary non polyposis colorectal cancer, also called as lynch syndrome is a cancer of digestive tract. It increases the risk of developing many rare cancers especially, rectal and colon cancers. It is an inherited disorder and is caused by gene mutations. The treatment, prevention and natural remedies for HNPCC are discussed below.
Hereditary Non Polyposis Colorectal Cancer Treatment
The best way to treat HNPCC is surgery where the cancers are removed so that additional cancers do not develop. The treatment depends on the location and the stage of the cancer. The other treatment methods include radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
If you have colorectal cancer, the doctor may suggest screening tests to find out the type and the stage of cancer. The doctor may suggest the following screening tests:
- Gastrointestinal cancer screening – This is a endoscopy screening test recommended only for the people with a family history of stomach and small intestine cancers. The stomach and the entire gastrointestinal system can be viewed and any cancers present can be detected.
- Urinary system cancer screening – The doctor may recommend this test if you have a family history of urinary system cancers. The cancer cells can be revealed through taking urine samples and analysing them.
- Ovarian cancer screening – This is an ultrasound examination of ovaries . The doctor keenly observes the ovaries and the changes that may indicate the cancer.
- Endometrial cancer screening – The doctor recommends the screening test for the women above the age 30s. A small piece of tissue is removed from the uterus and examined to look for any cancerous growth.
- Colon cancer screening – This is a test where the entire colon can be observed and any abnormal growth can be detected. Any polyp i.e precancerous growths in the colon is removed so that risk of cancers reduce.
- Colectomy – This is a surgical method to remove colon so that the colon cancers can be eliminated. But there is only little chance of survival through this surgery. This can also allow you to expel the waste normally instead of any other alternatives.
- Hysterectomy and Oophorectomy – These are surgical methods to remove uterus and ovaries respectively. This would help in eliminating the risks of developing ovarian cancers and endometrial cancers. The main drawback behind this surgeries is that the women cannot become pregnant.
Prevention of Hereditary Non Polyposis Colorectal Cancer
The only way to prevent colorectal cancers is to go for regular cancer screening tests and undergoing surgeries. Lifestyle changes, exercises and proper diet can also reduce the risk of colorectal cancers. Some of the preventive measures include:
- Avoid smoking
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Do regular exercises
- Take a diet rich in whole grains, fresh vegetables and fruits
Natural Remedies for Hereditary Non Polyposis Colorectal Cancer
Listed below are few remedies for HNPCC:
- Consume green tea daily. This is a very effective remedy for colon cancers.
- Garlic cloves taken in a raw form are very effective and reduces difficulties in bowel.
- Intake of calcium and vitamin D supplements in any form have an immediate effect on colon cancers.
- Take raw ginger in your diet regularly. This helps to slow down the production of cancerous cells.
- Intake of grape seed juice is also very effective in slowing down the progress of cancer cells in colon.