Treatment of Shoulder Pain for Sports Person (I)
If you are actively involved in sport activities, do you know how to treat your shoulder pain, in case you suffer from it? Or minimally, do you know the things you should do as first aid?
You can get the answers of the questions above inside this article. This article is written as the continuation of shoulder pain series.
The structures of this article are as follows (the explanation will be separated into three articles):
- First Aid
- Things to Ensure the Best Recovery
- How to Avoid Re-Injury
Optimistically, you can acquire valuable information from this article.
Happy learning about treatment of shoulder pain for sports person!
Here are the steps you may follow in treating shoulder pain:
- Take a rest
- Put ice onto the affected area of your shoulder (wrap the ice with a towel beforehand)
- Take anti-inflammatory medications
The purposes of these steps are to reduce the pain and inflammation.
Things to Ensure the Best Recovery
Your exercise program and recovery phase would run better if you are being monitored by a sports physician or physiotherapist.
The steps to ensure you’re your recovery are as follows:
Step 1: Improvement of Normal Function
The main purpose of this step is to improve mobility and efficiency of the patient’s muscles around the shoulder blade.
- Lean yourself over a table with your normal arm
- Allow you injured arm hang down
- Move in a clockwise position and then counter clockwise
- Do the same thing in an extension and flexion motion
- Do this exercise with minimum twenty repetitions in five sets
The above exercise is useful to improve your shoulder’s mobility.
Posterior shoulder stretch
- Extend your injured arm in the front of your body
- Hold the elbow of your injured arm with the other hand
- Take your elbow towards your body until you can feel the pull
- Hold the position from 10 to 20 seconds
- Repeat the exercise 3 times
Here are the exercises to strengthen your shoulder blade stabilizers:
- Provide yourself with an elastic band and attach it to something stable, i.e., door handle.
- Stretch your arm forward
- Pull the elastic band and keep your arm extended
- Do this by moving your shoulder forward
- Next, move your shoulders backward
- Do this from 15 to 20 repetitions in 2 to 3 sets
- Provide yourself with an elastic band and attach it to something stable, i.e., door handle
- Pull the band in a sawing motion to your middle
- Back to your first position
- Exercise this from 10 to 15 reps in 2 to 3 sets
- Tie the elastic band in the middle to a stable object in front of your body.
- Hold each end of the elastic band with both hands.
- Extend the arms beside the body.
- Stretch the arms backwards to the furthest appropriate point.
- Ease your arms back
- Do for 2 sets of 10 to 15 reps.
In the next article, we will continue to write further about treatment of shoulder pain for sports person.
You should consult with your doctor and other health care professionals to get a better knowledge and information about the treatment of shoulder pain for sports person.
Kindly bear in mind, this article is not solely intended as the only source of information about the treatment of shoulder pain for sports person.