Celiac Disease – Treatment of Celiac Disease
Celiac disease is a problem of the gastrointestinal tract and an autoimmune disorder that results in the damage of the lining of small intestine when foods that contain gluten are eaten.The damage to the intestines makes it hard for the body to absorb nutrients like calcium, iron, fats and folate.
This decreases the absorption of nutrients that occurs with celiac disease and can cause vitamin deficiency that can deprive the brain and other organs of vital nourishment. This can result in other illnesses and stunted growth. There is no cure for this disease but this can be managed with a change in the diet of the patient.
Celiac Disease Treatment
Although there is no cure for celiac disease, the treatment can be given to reduce the symptoms and the other treatment is to give a gluten free diet. The treatment include:
The medical treatment depends on the severity of the symptoms. They include:
- Antidiarrheals can be given to reduce diarrhea that occurs intermittently.
- Pain killers may be prescribed depending on the severity of the pain in the joints and abdomen.
- Ointments and gels to cure mouth sores may be given by a doctor.
- If the patient has anemia, then a doctor may prescribe iron supplements.
- Calamine lotion or anti-allergic ointments can be given depending on the severity of the rashes.
- Vitamin supplements may be given for general weakness and fatigue.
What if you eat Gluten
If you eat accidentally any product that contains gluten, then you may experience severe abdominal pain and diarrhea. Some times it may not cause any problem, but traces of gluten in the diet can cause severe damage at times. Most of the people with this disorder end up with many complications. people who does not respond to the dietary changes, may need frequent monitoring of their condition.