Hypertension – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Hypertension
Hypertension also called as high blood pressure is a condition in which there is an elevation in the normal blood pressure levels. Heart pumps blood through the arteries to the whole body with every heartbeat. Blood pressure is the measure of the force of blood that is pumped against the wall of arteries. Sometimes this may vary in response to physical load or stress thus leading to hypertension. The treatment, prevention and home remedies for hypertension are discussed below.
Treatment of hypertension is mainly aimed to reduce the blood pressure and make it to normal so that further complications can be lowered. Hypertension can be treated with medications or through therapies.
The doctor may recommend the following medications to treat the hypertension. The medications include:
- Renin inhibitors
- Alpha blockers
- Calcium blockers
- Beta blockers
- Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs)
- Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
- Central alpha agonists
The doctor may suggest some therapies if hypertension cannot be controlled by the medications alone. The alternative therapies to medications include:
- Techniques such as relaxation training, yoga and meditation are recommended. They reduce stress and induce relaxation.
- Techniques such as biofeedback and acupuncture also help people with hypertension.
Prevention of Hypertension
The following measures help to prevent hypertension:
- Practice relaxation techniques and try to reduce stress
- Take your hypertension medications regularly
- Quit smoking
- Drink alcohol in moderate levels
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Decrease sodium intake
- Do regular exercises
- Eat a low-fat and nutritious diet
Home Remedies for Hypertension
Listed below are few home remedies for hypertension:
- Grapes are rich in vitamin P and helpful in toning up the arteries and lowers the blood pressure.
- Baked potatoes are good for lowering the blood pressure.
- Mix honey with onion juice. Take two teaspoons of this mixture two times a day. This is a very effective and good remedy.
- Take cumin seeds, fennel seeds and sugar in equal proportion and powder the mixture. Add a teaspoon of this mixture to a glass of water. Take this twice a day in the morning and evening. This is a very effective home remedy for hypertension.
- Hot compresses on the heart is very beneficial.
- Gooseberry taken along with milk is very effective in lowering the blood pressure.
- Walk barefoot on green grass daily for about 15-20 minutes. This improves blood circulation and helps to maintain the normal blood pressure.
- Consume fresh papayas on an empty stomach daily for about a month. This is a very effective remedy for hypertension.
- Squeeze half a lemon in half a glass of water and consume it for every two hours for instant relief.
- Watermelon is also very effective remedy for hypertension.