Menopause Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies
Menopause is a time when a woman’s menstrual cycle comes to an end. This occurs between the age of 50 and 54. During this time a woman cannot bear a child as the ovaries stop producing sex hormones known as progesterone and estrogen. A woman’s body also goes through other changes like weight gain, heat flashes, thinning of skin, etc.
Treatment of Menopause
In some ways the estrogen can be replaced by hormones that no longer are made by the body. Before getting a replacement done the woman and her doctor should discuss all the advantage and disadvantages that are involved. The replacement therapy should be an individuals decision.
Quite lately many women are considering to go for HRT( hormone replacement therapy) as it has shown very good results. Though HRT has shown good results, it has also a few disadvantages like stroke, heart attack and breast cancer.
There are three types of ERT(estrogen replacement therapy):-
- Estrogen can be taken through a pill (ogen and premarin), a cream (dienestrol), a vaginal pill (vagifem) or through a skin patch (estraderm).
- Cyclical therapy like estrogen taken everyday through a pill or a patch and a progestrone pill for a couple of days in a month.
- Continuous therapy like a mild dose of progestrone to be taken as one or two pills everyday.
Prevention of Menopause
Since menopause is a natural problem in all women, one cannot prevent it but one can prevent the symptoms with a healthy lifestyle. It is very difficult to prevent these problems after menopause. The risk of fractures, heart disease and bone loss increases. A woman in her menopause should have at least 1500 mg of calcium everyday and the amount of fat should be low in the diet. The most common problem is being over weight. A few ways to prevent it are:
- Cut down or quit smoking
- If you cannot do without drinking alcohol, then drink moderately.
- Workout for at-least half an hour three days in a week.
- Do not stress or over exert yourself.
- Go for a mammogrm and breast examination once a year.
Home Remedies for Menopause