Heart Failure – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Heart Failure
Heart failure is a condition in which the heart becomes less efficient at pumping blood to meet the body’s needs. It is a very serious condition but it doesn’t mean that the heart has failed. Heart failure occurs as a result of other conditions such as coronary heart disease or high blood pressure. It can affect any side of the heart and the symptoms depend on the side effected. The treatment, prevention and home remedies for heart failure are discussed below.
Heart Failure Treatment
There are many treatment methods available to treat heart failure and control the condition. The conditions that cause the heart failure can be treated specifically. Thus the pressure on the heart can be reduced.
Doctors recommend a range of medications to treat heart failure. Medications are suggested depending on the symptoms of the condition. The different types of medications include:
- Anticoagulants – Sometimes blood clots may form during heart failure. They may block the blood vessels and thus prevent the blood flow. These medicines thin the blood and reduce the blood clotting.
- Aldosterone antagonists – These spare the potassium levels in urine and also help in reversing the scarring of heart. They thus help affected people live longer.
- Diuretics – These allow more urination and prevent the fluids from collecting in the body. They decrease the fluids in lungs and help breathe easily. Doctor monitors the levels of magnesium and potassium in your blood by performing blood tests.
- Beta blockers – These decrease the blood pressure and slow the heart rate. They also reduce the abnormal heart rhythms and improve the functioning of heart.
- Digoxin – This increases the strength of heart muscle contractions. This also reduces the heart failure symptoms and slows the heart beat thus improving the function of heart.
- ACE inhibitors – These are angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors which are a type of vasodilators. They improve the blood flow and lower the blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels. They help people feel better and live longer.
- Angiotensin II receptor blockers – These have the same benefits as ACE inhibitors. Doctors recommend these medicines to the people who cannot tolerate to ACE inhibitors.
Some people cannot tolerate to medications. In such cases, surgical treatments are suggested by the doctor. There are some devices which are implanted in the body to improve the heart condition. The devices are LVAD’s (left ventricular assist devices), cardioverter defribrillators and pacemakers.
People with severe heart failure condition are suggested to undergo heart transplantation. This is a very successful but complicated procedure because a donor heart should be available.
Prevention of Heart Failure
The following ways reduce the risk of heart failure:
- Get immunized against pneumococcal and flu infections
- Take a healthy diet i.e low in saturated fats and salts
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid drinking alcohol
- Avoid smoking
- Reduce your weight if you are obese
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and grain products
Home Remedies for Heart Failure
Listed below are few home remedies for heart failure:
- Apples have heart stimulating properties. Take apples or apple jam in moderate amounts.
- Take fresh grape juice. Grapes are effective home remedy and tones up the heart.
- Prepare tea with parsley and consume it 2-3 times a day. This keeps the heart in a healthy condition and is very effective.
- Boil two pieces of garlic in milk and and take it daily. This prevents the heart problems.
- Beetroot juice is also very effective.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and juice of half lemon in a glass of water. Take this before going to bed.
- Using lemon daily in any form is also good as it prevents accumulation of cholesterol in the blood vessels.