Meningitis Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies
Meningitis is a rare disease. It is an infectious virus that spreads and needs to be treated with antibiotics. Meninges is a membrane that surrounds the spinal cord and the brain. When the membrane gets inflamed it is called meningitis.
Treatment for Meningitis
There are different types of meningitis and the treatment depends on the type of organism that causes it. People who are suffering from viral meningitis require to take complete bed rest, intake lots of fluids to prevent dehydration and medications like asprin to bring down fever and reduce body aches.
Meningitis that is caused by herpesvirus can be treated by antiviral medications like ribavirin. These medications have side effects like vomiting, headache and nausea. Bacterial meningitis requires antibiotic treatment which would prevent neurological damage. People who are very serious are treated immediately with a medication that has a combination of cephalosporin and pencillin.
Some bacterias are resistant to drugs. Therefore vancomycin with or without ampicillin and rifampin is given. These drugs have side effects like vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and pain in the abdomin. For fungal meningitis amphotericin is an effective antibiotic and the best treatment.
Prevention of Meningitis
Antibiotics are the best way to prevent meningitis and if a person has had the following :
- Contact with a person who has meningitis.
- Very close contact with a person such as college, school or in jail.
- If there is an exposure to nose, mouth or secretion in lungs
- Preventive measures are not necessary to take for all types of meningitis unless the doctor confirms meningitis that is caused by a bacteria called neisseria meningitis.
- Vaccination can be given to people who live in close areas like dormitories.
- In-spite of a person being vaccinated, if he is exposed to someone who has meningitis, he has to still consult a doctor.
- Symptom are stiffness in the neck, rashes, fever and sore throat.
Home Remedies for Meningitis
- Garlic is a very powerful antibiotic and antifungal.
- Licorice helps in stimulating the immune system of the body.
- Aloe Vera Gel regenerates new cells and eases out pain. It is also a good to reduce inflammation agent.
- Vitamin C helps in regenerating the immune system.
- Bee Propolis is a natural antibiotic and helps in killing bacteria and virus.