Heart Attack – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Heart Attack
Heart attack occurs when the blood flow to a part of the heart is blocked. The blockage is due to formation of blood clots in the arteries that supply blood to the heart. This clot formation damages the heart muscle and leads to heart attack. It is also known as myocardial infarction and is fatal. Heart attacks are caused due to the cholesterol build up in the arteries and heart muscle spasms. The treatment, prevention and remedies for heart attack are discussed below.
Heart Attack Treatment
Heart attack is treated depending on the amount of damage to the heart and severity of the condition. It is treated with medications and surgery.
The severity of the heart attack becomes more and more with each passing minute and the heart tissue slowly dies. Doctors suggest medications to treat the condition. The general medications prescribed include:
- Cholesterol-lowering medications – These medications lower the blood cholesterol levels and are helpful if they are given soon after a first attack.
- Beta blockers – These help in heart muscle relaxation, decreases blood pressure, limit the heart muscle damage and prevent the further attacks.
- Nitroglycerin – This is used to treat chest pain temporarily and improves the blood flow to and from the heart.
- Pain relievers – These are prescribed in case the pain is immense during heart attack. They reduce the discomfort.
- Blood thinning medications – They include oral medications or injections that are given intravenously under the skin. They make the blood less sticky and thus prevent clots formation.
- Thrombolytics – They help to dissolve the clots that block the blood flow to the heart. If they are taken immediately after an attack, the chance of survival is greater and damage to the heart is lesser.
- Aspirin – This is an emergency medication given as soon as a person is admitted. It reduces clotting and helps in maintaining the blood flow through the narrow artery.
The surgeons may treat the attack with any of the following surgical procedures.
- Coronary artery bypass surgery – Surgeons may perform this procedure in rare cases. They suggest a person to go for the surgery after the heart recovers from the heart attack. Bypass surgery involves sewing the arteries and veins in the site beyond the narrowed or blocked coronary artery. Thus the blood flow is restored to the heart by performing the bypass.
- Coronary angioplasty and stenting – In this procedure, a thin tube or catheter is inserted into the heart through an artery in the leg. This catheter is equipped with a special balloon that opens up in the blocked artery. At the same time, a stented mesh is inserted into the artery that keeps the artery open long term and thus the blood flow is restored to the heart.
Prevention of Heart Attack
Lowering the risk factors of the heart attack can prevent a heart attack. The following are the measures that reduce the risk of heart attacks from occurring.
- Control your blood pressure if you have hypertension
- Lose weight if you are obese
- Exercise regularly
- If you have diabetes, control your blood sugar
- Eat a healthy diet rich in vegetables and fruits
- Quit smoking
Home Remedies for Heart Attack
Listed below are few home remedies for heart attack:
- Vitamin C is an effective home remedy. It protects the heart from high blood cholesterol. Consume citrus fruits as they are rich in vitamin C.
- Vitamin E improves the circulation and muscle strength. It also promotes heart functioning by improving oxygenation of cell. Intake foods rich in vitamin E such as outer leaves of cabbage, whole meal products and green vegetables.
- The herb alfalfa taken in juice form is very helpful in treating diseases related to heart and arteries. The juice can be taken along with carrot juice two times a day.
- Grapes are very effective in treating heart pains. Grapes taken in the form of juice is also very effective remedy.
- Asparagus is a very good remedy for heart diseases. Prepare a juice of it and mix it with honey in 2:1 ratio. Take a teaspoon of this mixture three times a day.
- Honey is effective in treating the cardiac pain and improves the circulation. Take a teaspoon of it daily after the food to prevent all sorts of heart troubles
- Apples are very rich in heart stimulating properties. Consuming a fruit daily or taking it in the form of jam is very beneficial.