Treatment and Prevention of Malaria
If you are infected with malaria, then you should go for an immediate treatment. The antimalarial drug is effective for different types of species of parasite and different life cycle of the parasite. Your physician would treat you accordingly to your condition.
Treatment for Malaria
There are different types of drugs to treat malaria like:
There are many parasites that have developed a resistance to certain medications, therefore your doctor would prescribe alternate medications.
Prevention for Malaria
There are many ways by which you can prevent the infection of malaria like:
- You need to check with your physician or local clinic to have updated information about what are the best ways to protect yourself from malaria.
- The effectiveness of the drug also depends on the area or the region where you are traveling.
- It is important to have the updated information as the effectiveness of the drug varies from year to year.
- There are a few preventions that are based on the risk of your exposure to the infection
- By preventing mosquito bites by applying mosquito resistant creams prevent mosquitoes from coming closer.
- One can also use mosquito repellent, bed nets and wear clothes that cover your body.
- Another medication that is effective to prevent mosquitoes is chemoprophylaxis.
What questions you should ask your doctor about malaria
There are a few set of questions that you should ask your doctor to clear your doubts. These questions would also help you to take precautions and help other clear the misconceptions. Questions to be asked are:
- What drugs can be taken to avoid malaria?
- In what amount the dosage should be taken?
- For how long the drug should be taken and when to stop it?
- Should i take precautions for malaria in the region where I’m going to travel?
- Is this area a high risk for malaria?