Chest Pain in Teenagers and Children
What would you do if your children suffer from chest pain? Definitely it is going to be a tough situation for you to deal with.
Through this article, we would like to give you information about chest pain in children and teenagers, especially what causes the pain.
We will divide the information into two parts:
- Chest pain in teenagers
- Chest pain in children
Optimistically, the information given inside this article is beneficial for you and your loved ones.
Chest Pain in Teenagers
Chest pain rarely points out severe disease even though still considered as a common incidence is teenagers. Twelve years old is the average age of teenagers who complaint about chest pain.
Chest pain cause in teenagers is the most psychogenic naturally. Therefore it remains unknown in term of number of cases.
Other causes of chest pain in teenagers would include:
- Back traumatism taking place during sports or games
- Upper arm traumatism happening during sports or games
- Chest traumatism occurring through sports or games
- Bad cough
- Bronchial asthma
- Hyperventilation syndrome
- Disorder of bones and joints
- Illness of chest wall muscles
- Breast disorders (for teenage girls)
Chest Pain in Children
Here are the causes of pain in children in percentage:
- Unknown (21 %)
- Disorders of bones, joints and muscles (16 %)
- Cough (10 %)
- Costochondral inflammation (9 %)
- Psychogenic pain (9 %)
- Bronchial asthma (7 %)
- Traumatism (5 %)
- Pneumonia (4 %)
- Gastro-internal disease (4 %)
- Cardiovascular disease (4 %)
Case of myocardial ischemia in children is an exceptionally unusual incident. The possible cause of myocardial ischemia in children would be microcirculation disorders or coronary dystopia, in example sickle cell anemia and diabetes mellitus case.
Chest pain triggered by myocardial ischemia must be set apart from the following cases which is causes by constriction of splenic capsule:
- Squeezing pain around the chest area
- Pressing pain in the left hypochondrium
You should consult with your doctor and other health care professionals to get a better knowledge and information about chest pain in children.
Kindly bear in mind, this article is not solely intended as the only source of information about chest pain in children.