What is Ringworm – Treatment, Home Remedies and Prevention
20 percent of the population is affected with ringworm menace. Awareness about the benefits of daily exercise is on the rise as it is a need in recent times. But along with sweating it out, it is also necessary to take a good care of the skin and hair after workouts. Negligence or ignorance on this subject of well being can lead to several skin infections alike the ringworms. This article tries to understand about the treatment and prevention of this prevalent skin condition in physically active people.
Treatment of Ringworm or Dermatophytosis:
Four weeks of self care can treat the signs of this infection. The body should be kept clean and dry. Over-the-counter antifungal or drying powders, lotions, or creams containing miconazole and clotrimazole be applied as they are very effective in reducing ringworm. Antifungal pills like ketoconazole and antibiotics may be required to treat severe cases ad the infection caused by bacteria.
Home Remedies for Ringworm or Dermatophytosis:
- Applying a paste of mustard seeds on the affected area can be beneficial.
- A few slices of raw papaya can be rubbed twice daily on the signs of this infection.
- A teaspoon of turmeric should be added with equal quantity of honey and applied on the affected regions.
- Use of castor oil on the scalp can prove to a simple and effective home remedy of ringworm.
- A juice made up of carrot and spinach can be applied on the signs to reduce their severity.
- Seeds of herb butea should be mixed with lime juice and applied on the affected region to treat ringworm.
- Cassia tree leaves can be collected and a paste can be prepared and applied on the skin to get relief.
Prevention of Ringworm or Dermatophytosis:
- Sharing of clothes should be avoided between family members, because the response of the skin type to an infection varies from person to person in a family.
- It is advisable to wear slippers while walking especially in moist areas.
- Avoiding skin to skin contacts even while playing contact sports is a good health practice. Taking a shower with anti-fungal soap reduces the risk of infection.
- Feet should be dried before wearing socks.
- Contacts with pets which move around in dirty areas of the house should be avoided.