Home Treatment for Chest Pain
Suddenly you feel pain in your chest, but you are in your house. Do you know what you have to do as a home treatment for your pain?
Chest pain complaints are a very common incidence in the medical world. Chest pain worries the sufferers and makes the physician always stay on alert since chest pain is often a sign of a serious disease. The challenge of treating chest pain becomes harder for the physician from the diagnostic standpoint.
Therefore, if you suffer from chest pain and you feel it when you are in your house; you should take the following steps immediately:
- Call your doctor
- Call for emergency services
- Go to the nearest hospital emergency department
Self-Care at Your House
While you are waiting for medical help, you can do these steps:
- Chew minimum half of an aspirin (regular) or two baby aspirins (total dosage at least 160 milligrams) while you are waiting for medical help. There is no strong proof that consumiing more than the suggested dosage would help more. Moreover, you can have negative side effects of consuming the drugs too much.
- It is compulsory to chew the aspirin before you swallow it. Chewing the aspirin decreases the time needed by the medicine to have an effect.
- You may reduce your risk of death up to 23 percent by chewing an aspirin in the first phase of a heart attack.
In case you have angina (chest pain due to insufficient oxygen to the heart muscles) and nitroglycerin tablets are available, place one tablet under your tongue. This step would increase the blood flow to narrowed or blocked arteries.
Points to consider:
- You should put another tablet under your tongue if your pain continues for more than five minutes.
- You should go to the nearest hospital emergency department or contact medical help immediately if you do not get relief from your chest pain.
You may relieve your pain with antacids if it is because of acid reflux (GERD). You still have to be evaluated by health care professionals even if your pain has gone after you consume an antacid.
You should consult with your doctor and other health care professionals to get a better knowledge and information about home treatment for chest pain.
Kindly bear in mind, this article is not solely intended as the only source of information about home treatment for chest pain.