Chlamydia – Treatment, Prevention and Natural Remedies for Chlamydia
Chlamydia is an infection of the genital tract that is caused by a bacterium called chlamydia trachomatis that spreads easily through sexual contact. This infection is the most common sexually transmitted infections in the world and around 1 million individuals in the United States are infected with chlamydia. Many people show no signs and symptoms and it affects both men and women. In U.S, teenagers are the groups who suffer from this disease very frequently. Chlamydia is not difficult to treat but if left untreated, can lead to more serious health problems.
Treatment of Chlamydia
The treatment of chlamydia includes:
- Chlamydial infection can be treated with antibiotic therapy.
- A doctor may prescribe antibiotics as pills to be swallowed.
- Antibiotics can be given in the form of injections and this depends on the severity of the infection.
- This therapy alleviate the symptoms and cures a chlamydial infection as long as you take the medication.
- This treatment should begin as soon as possible after diagnosis.
Side-effects of antibiotics
The side-effects include:
- Abdominal pain
- Mouth ulcers
How can Chlamydial infection be prevented?
The only way to prevent this infection is to abstain from sexual activities. The different ways of prevention include:
- Get screened regularly for sexually transmitted diseases: If you are sexually active and particularly if you have multiple partners, then talk to your doctor and get screened for other sexually transmitted diseases.
- Limit your partners: Avoid having sex with multiple partners as this puts you at a higher risk of getting this infection.
- Avoid douching: Women should not use douche because it decreases the number of bacteria in the vagina which increases the risk of infection.
- Use Condoms: Use male latex condom or a female polyurethane condom during each sexual contact. If condoms are used properly, then the risk of sexually transmitted infections are reduced automatically.
Natural Remedies for Chlamydial infection
Some of the natural remedies include:
- Sage: Boil 50 gms of sage or salvia officinalis arial in 250ml of water. Strain and drink 15 ml thrice a day for a week.
- Barberry, Golden seal, Oregaon grape root, Vitamin-A: Mix all these ingredients in an equal amount and soak this mixture in a cotton tampon and place this directly in the cervix.
- Golden seal, Myrrh: Put one teaspoon of golden seal and myrrh into a pint of boiling water. Bathe in this water and continue till the symptoms subside. This reduces the vaginal discharge and irritation.
- Yogurt: Use yogurt as a vaginal douche to treat chlamydial infections. Yogurt changes the pH of the vagina making it difficult for the microorganisms to grow.
- Garlic: Take garlic extracts and drink it thrice a day and the symptoms like pruritus, itching and burning are reduced.
- Olive leaf extract: 1 teaspoon of olive oil extracts can be taken two times for ten days and the symptoms like itching and lesions get cured.
- Diet: The simplest and effective remedy is to have nutritious and a balanced diet. Foods that build the body’s immunity and cut down the foods that weaken the body like sugars and refined foods. Fiber rich diet , greens and at least eight glasses of water should be taken every day.
Some of the alternative therapies that help you relieve from pain and discomfort include: