Childhood Nephrotic Syndrome – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Childhood Nephrotic Syndrome
Childhood nephrotic syndrome is a disorder of the kidney that causes the body to expel too much protein in the urine.The main damage is done to the small blood vessels in the kidneys that filters the wastes and excess water from the blood. These blood vessels are responsible for keeping blood protein from seeping into the urine, but when they are damaged they do not perform this function properly. This malfunction leads to the leak of protein out of the blood and lost in urine which leads to swelling allover the body. Treatment includes treating the underlying causes and medications.
Treatment for Childhood Nephrotic Syndrome
The treatment involves treating the underlying medical conditions that causes nephrotic syndrome. They include:
A doctor may prescribe medications that may help control the signs and symptoms or treat complications. Medications may include:
- Control Blood Pressure: Drugs like angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors reduce the blood pressure and it decreases the amount of protein released in the urine. The other group of drugs called angiotensin receptor blockers may also be prescribed by a doctor.
- Water pills: Diuretics help control swelling by increasing the fluid output of the kidneys.
- Cholesterol-reducing medications: Drugs called statins can be given by a doctor to reduce the levels of cholesterol.
- Blood thinners: Anticoagulants help reduce the blood’s ability to clot and reduce the risk of forming blood clots.
- Immune-system-suppressing medications: Medications that take control of the immune system like the corticosteroids may reduce the inflammation within the kidney.
- Antibiotics: These groups of drugs help to control infections caused by bacteria.
- Surgical Interventions: Though no surgical intervention is needed for nephrotic syndrome, but if the kidney gets effected and the functioning of the kidney fails then a doctor may advise for a kidney transplant
Prevention of Nephrotic syndrome
There is only one way to prevent the risk of nephrotic syndrome and that is to control the underlying risk factors. They include:
- Treat Medical Conditions: If you are suffering from any of the diseases like diabetes, lupus and amyloidosis, then get yourself treated for these disorders because if left untreated your risk of developing this nephrotic syndrome.
- Certain medications: Avoid the intake of certain medicines like non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs as consumption of this drug increases the risk of this syndrome.
- Diet: People suffering from this syndrome are advised to restrict the fluid intake. Fruits like grapes, berries and watermelon quench thirst. Foods like sprouts,eggs, lean meat,legumes, wheat,pulses and dry fish are a rich source of proteins. Ensure that sodium intake is minimum. Foods that cannot be taken by people suffering from this syndrome include:
- Ice cubes, ice cream
- milk, water, soda, juice and other beverages
- Salted wafers
- Pop corns and pickles
- Saturated fatty acids containing foods like cheese, red meat, fried foods and butter
Natural Home Remedies for the treatment of Childhood nephrotic syndrome
Some of the common remedies include:
- Orange: Consuming one or two oranges before breakfast in the morning followed by a glass of hot water cures kidney problems.
- Watermelon: Eating watermelon has been very beneficial in nephritis.
- Mango: Eating mangoes regularly strengthens kidneys.
- Cucumber: Raw cucumber can be consumed and is very beneficial for all the kidney problems.
- Arbi: Eating this vegetable is very essential for this disorder.