Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a chronic disorder characterized by debilitating fatigue for longer than six months. A person may suffer from severe tiredness that cannot be relieved by rest and the core symptoms include fatigue, mental fogginess and often gastrointestinal problems. The degree of severity differs from person to person and the underlying cause is often not found. Effective treatments for the signs and symptoms of CFS are available but people recover from this syndrome over time.
There is no treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome. A doctor aims to relieve the signs and symptoms by using a combination of treatments. They include:
- Antidepressants may help in improving the sleep pattern.
- Selective serotonin inhibitors may also help by reducing the stress.
- Pain killers can be taken if there is pain.
- In case of apnea, change your sleep patterns and ask your doctor for a short course of sleep medication.
- Antihistamines and decongestants may be prescribed if you suffer from allergy-like symptoms.
- A doctor may treat a person for low blood pressure.
- Symptoms like dizziness and extreme skin tenderness are treated by certain drugs.
- D-ribose is a form of sugar that is an essential energy source for the cells.
There are many other treatment options that reduce the anxiety and promote well-being of people with CFS. They include:
- Acupuncture helps to reduce the fatigue levels and decreases the anxiety levels of a person.
- Deep-breathing and muscle-relaxation techniques are found to be very useful in curing CFS.
- Movement therapies like yoga, stretching and tai chi are also very useful in treating this disorder.
- Meditation is another technique, that helps you to relax your muscles and relieve fatigue.
- Massage therapy is also found to be beneficial in relieving stress.
How can we Prevent Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
The simple things that can be done at home to prevent this disorder include:
- Develop a plan to reduce stress by avoiding over-exertion and emotional stress.
- The second most essential thing is to get sufficient sleep.
- Regular exercise helps you keep fit and to destress.
- Walking, biking, swimming and water aerobics are found to be helpful.
- Stretching and relaxation exercises can also be helpful.
- Limit the intake of coffee.
- Quit smoking.
- Take adequate rest.
- Try to find a hobby or career that is enjoyable and fulfilling for you.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating a balanced diet, drinking plenty of fluids and by regular exercise.
Home Remedies for CFS
Some of the home remedies for CFS include:
- Echinacea: The herbal extracts of this plant are taken and 15 to 20 drops are consumed three times daily.
- Astragalus: The extracts of this plant are taken three or four times daily. The dosage is 150 – 250 gms.
- Carrot juice: This juice along with kelp and bee pollen provides energy if you are tired.
Other herbal extracts that are used to treat CFS
The herbs that are used to cure CFS include:
- Valerian root extracts
- Olive leaf
- Kava Kava herb
- St. Johns wort root extracts
- Licorice root
- Siberian ginseng
- Golden seal extracts
- Ginkgo biloba
- Burdock, Dandelion and red clover tea which energize a person with CFS.