Liver Cirrhosis – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Liver Cirrhosis
Liver cirrhosis is a serious condition in which the scarring of liver occurs causing liver damage. As a result of scarring, the healthy tissue is damaged blocking the flow of blood to the liver. Liver is an important organ of the digestive system and performs a wide range of body functions. Scarring of the tissue makes the liver unable to perform the functions and thus chronic damage occurs to the liver. The treatment, prevention and remedies for liver cirrhosis are discussed below.
Liver Cirrhosis Treatment
Treatment of liver cirrhosis depends on the stage and the cause of the disease. The main aim of the treatment is to stop the disease progression, reverse the occurred damage and treat the complications.
Treatments for the underlying cause of liver cirrhosis
Treating the cause keeps the liver cirrhosis from getting worse. For example, if cirrhosis is caused by hepatitis C, the disease may be treated with medications. If cirrhosis is caused due alcoholic intake, the treatment is to stop drinking alcohol.
Treatments for complications of liver cirrhosis
The medical professional now will work to treat the complications of liver cirrhosis. They include:
- High levels of toxins in the blood – This leads to hepatic encephalopathy that may result in confusion and changes in thinking leading to coma. Your doctor prescribes medications that help to treat the condition.
- Liver cancer screening – Your doctor suggests you to go for periodic blood tests and ultrasound exams to look for the liver cancer signs.
- Infections – Doctor may prescribe you antibiotics and other treatments for infections.
- Increased pressure in the portal vein and surrounding veins – Medications can control the increasing pressure in the veins around the liver. Surgery is also recommended by the doctor in some cases. Using a stent, the portal vein is opened and held. Endoscopy is recommended by the doctor to examine the veins in the esophagus and stomach for bleeding signs.
- Excess fluids in the body – The fluids that accumulate in the abdomen and legs can be treated with medications and low sodium diet. If the fluid has build up more and more, your doctor may recommend some procedures that drain out the fluids from the body and surgery to relieve the pain.
Prevention of Liver Cirrhosis
The best way to prevent liver cirrhosis is to avoid the underlying causes of the condition. The measures to be taken are:
- Get immunized against hepatitis B. This reduces the risk of cirrhosis in the future,
- Before taking vitamin supplements talk to your doctor as they worsen liver damage.
- Take a healthy diet and get plenty of rest and physical activity. This helps you to maintain your weight healthy.
- Avoid alcohol and if you are a man drink no more than two drinks a day and slowly reduce that too.
- Know the risk factors for hepatitis B and C and avoid them.
Home Remedies for Liver Cirrhosis
Listed below are few home remedies for liver cirrhosis:
- Extract juice of the herb eclipta. Take a teaspoon of it and add 1 teaspoon of honey and consume it thrice a day.
- Radish is an effective remedy for cirrhosis. It can be taken raw along with the tender stem or make a juice out of it and take it in an empty stomach every day.
- Take lime juice with a pinch of rock salt in it.
- Consume buttermilk with some roasted cumin seeds added to it. This is one of the easiest way to treat liver cirrhosis.
- Salads and diet containing carbohydrates is very helpful in curing liver cirrhosis.
- Add a teaspoon of glucose in a cup of water and take it three times a day.
- Take 4 leaves of sacred fig and mash them along with sugar candy. Consume this mixture twice a day.
- Grind papaya seeds and add the powder to 10 drops of lime juice. Take this 1 to 2 times a day for a month.
- Take 200 ml of spinach juice and add 300 ml of carrot juice to it. This is the popular and effective home remedy.